cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Deleting drawing file

RC_10272798
6-Contributor

Deleting drawing file

Version: Windchill 11.1

Use Case: Is ti possibile to delete a drawing associated to an assy model with different code, without deleting assy model too?

Description:

I have created a drawing with new code to represent an old and already released assy model with a different code.

Now I need to delete thi drawing that I have checked in but still in creation. 

Local admins told me that deleting is impossible because drawing has been checked in with the assy model association.

I don't understand why this should be a problem considering assy model was realased before drawing creation and not depending from it. 

In my opinion deleting of this drawing shoudn't affect anythingelse in Windchill. Why is this operation forbidden? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dobi
14-Alexandrite
(To:RC_10272798)

This sounds a bit different than deleting a drawing. 

Like @Hari_Vara and @BenLoosli said, deleting a drawing is no issue as long as you have appropriate permissions to do so (or ask your admin nicely!)

Could you explain what "different code" means in this case? You mean Number or File Name? That perhaps is more a file uniqueness error (so you may need to pick a different Number).

If you modified a released assembly CAD (and the related wtpart) from rev.00 to rev.01 - that sounds more like iterating instead of doing a release. Is the assembly released (or some similar state) and you're able to check-out/check-in?

If you're still seeing a relationship between your rev00 iteration and your assembly and you did the delete - did you select the "delete latest iteration" option or the "delete this revision" option? If it's the former, your initial iteration would remain. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Hari_Vara
13-Aquamarine

Hi,

As an end user, you may not be given the right to delete objects. It depends on your Windchill's ACL configuration.

Having said this, I am assuming that the drawing has only a one way dependency to the Assy (Meaning, it pulls the Info : views , parameters from Assy file in only one way), this means that the drawing can be deleted without an impact to the assembly (By the admin, not you).

Ask your admin nicely !  🙂

Best Regards

Hari

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

The drawing file should be able to be deleted, even if it has been checked in to Windchill. Like Hari said, you may not have rights to do so. Ask your Windchill admin to delete the file for you. My users do have rights to delete objects at the initial design state. But, they need to understand object relations in order to do so. Deleting a drawing, which is the least linked object in the chain should be easy. Going up the chain to the assembly and then parts becomes more complicated.

Hello @RC_10272798

It looks like you have some responses from some community members. If any of these replies helped you solve your question please mark the appropriate reply as the Accepted Solution. 

Of course, if you have more to share on your issue, please let the Community know so other community members can continue to help you.

Thanks,
Community Moderation Team.

Hi all,

I have read your answers and I think that more info are needed.

I have modified a released assy cad (and the related wtpart) from rev.00 to rev01 and then I have created a new drawing rev.00 with a different code.

After check-in of both cad rev.01 and drw rev.00, to align revisions of both I decided to review the drawing.

When I tried to check-in also the drw rev.01, Windchill blocked me, saying that I coudn't do it because this code were already associated to the assy cad with the same revision.

Even after deleting drw rev01 form Windchill and empting drw rev.00 (removing also cad model from the drw), when I verified the relations status on Windchill, it continued to show drw rev.00 togheter with assy cad rev.01 as child of the assy related wtpart rev.01.

Why?

Thenak you in advance.

Best regards,

Roberto   

Dobi
14-Alexandrite

This sounds a bit different than deleting a drawing. 

Like @Hari_Vara and @BenLoosli said, deleting a drawing is no issue as long as you have appropriate permissions to do so (or ask your admin nicely!)

Could you explain what "different code" means in this case? You mean Number or File Name? That perhaps is more a file uniqueness error (so you may need to pick a different Number).

If you modified a released assembly CAD (and the related wtpart) from rev.00 to rev.01 - that sounds more like iterating instead of doing a release. Is the assembly released (or some similar state) and you're able to check-out/check-in?

If you're still seeing a relationship between your rev00 iteration and your assembly and you did the delete - did you select the "delete latest iteration" option or the "delete this revision" option? If it's the former, your initial iteration would remain. 

RC_10272798
6-Contributor
(To:Dobi)

1) Different code means different Number.

2) Original assy cad and relative wtpart, both in rev.00, were and are released. No check-out/in possible. I reviewed this assy cad and relative wtpart, creating rev.01 for both. Once modifications were completed I have checked-in both and then I have created a new drawing files with different Number, rev.00 before and rev.01 then.

3) I don't know what option has been selected becouse to be honest I tried to delete drw rev.00 with the default Windchill configuration for end users like me in my company, but I don't know it.

Top Tags