cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Loader - WT Parts

Amirtharaj_K
15-Moonstone

Loader - WT Parts

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for how to upload the data from local to the WT Part tab - reference document and described by document. I found for document Article - CS38296, but I can't find for WT Part.

Regards,

AJ

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yes, that is the second link I sent you:

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS383191?source=search

You first run the load that creates the part. Then you create WTDocuments that store your text, Excel and Word documents files. Finally, you create the links from the Parts to the document objects. This will cause Parts to iterate as it adds each link.  Execution of this scripts typically is done from a Windchill shell on the server which means you will need to copy the files to load to the server so it can find them. I think it might be possible (but have never done this) to load remotely but these things are typically done by admins at the server level. 

Some tips. You're biggest source of errors will be object names and filenames. In the translation from CSV to XML, there are special characters that can trip things up. Watch out for this. Look out for any filenames that have weird name or special characters. By default, the loaded will fail when it detects a problem and works like a transaction, all or nothing. There are ways to change that but its not a bad idea to leave it the way it is. Basically, you will run it and if it detects a problem, you fix that and repeat until the next error. Sometimes that can be frustrating.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Thanks for the reply & sharing article @avillanueva 

I want to load the data locally.

For example, I have data like doc, excel, and txt in local. I want to upload that into WT Part through the loader it's possible.

Regards,

Aj

Oh, you want to load attachments directly to the WTPart? 

Did you enable this to be allowed?

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS191072?source=search

Thanks for the replay @avillanueva 

It's a different attachment tab that is not visible in WT Parts, if we require that option in WT Part we can enable this option preference management then only we can see the attachment tab in WT Part.

I have a local file I didn't upload in Windchill I want to upload that file through the loader either - Attachment TAB, Described by Document TAB, or Reference Document TAB.

Regards,

AJ

Perhaps some some screen shots. Not fully grasping your question. The DescribeBy and ReferenceBy tabs on WTParts linked to WTDocuments, not files. You need to upload those files to a document that is linked to the WTPart.

Thanks for the replay @avillanueva 

WT Part - Releated Objects Tab: Here we can see the Described by Documents & Reference Documets TAB right, I want to load data through the loader, such as text, Excel, and Doc.

Amirtharaj_K_0-1710416486371.png

Regards,

AJ

Yes, that is the second link I sent you:

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS383191?source=search

You first run the load that creates the part. Then you create WTDocuments that store your text, Excel and Word documents files. Finally, you create the links from the Parts to the document objects. This will cause Parts to iterate as it adds each link.  Execution of this scripts typically is done from a Windchill shell on the server which means you will need to copy the files to load to the server so it can find them. I think it might be possible (but have never done this) to load remotely but these things are typically done by admins at the server level. 

Some tips. You're biggest source of errors will be object names and filenames. In the translation from CSV to XML, there are special characters that can trip things up. Watch out for this. Look out for any filenames that have weird name or special characters. By default, the loaded will fail when it detects a problem and works like a transaction, all or nothing. There are ways to change that but its not a bad idea to leave it the way it is. Basically, you will run it and if it detects a problem, you fix that and repeat until the next error. Sometimes that can be frustrating.

Top Tags