cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Managing Windchill Permissions via a Outlook Distribution Lists?

lhoogeveen
17-Peridot

Managing Windchill Permissions via a Outlook Distribution Lists?

Has anyone tried managing Windchill groups permissions via a Outlook Distribution List permissions? Our Windchill permission setup is pretty flat right now where anyone can modify any Windchill Product and I'd like to refine that without adding a ton of work managing all those different permissions. We have about 125-150 people to manage permissions for access into many different Windchill Products. This would help simplify permissions throughout our company as those same distribution lists are used to manage SharePoint permissions to rather than recreating/maintaining those same groups in Windchill. Thoughts? Worst idea ever? Any idea where to start? We're using Windchill 10.1. Presumably, anyone who didn't have access to Windchill would just get ignored.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:lhoogeveen)

Lucas Hoogeveen‌, if Outlook (Exchange) is using Active Directory security groups, then it is definitely possible to map these to Windchill for use in team permissions.  There have been a bunch of different discussions here on the community about Active Directory integration.  Maybe start with this one: Re: Windchill Security - Joined Active Directory Groups

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomU
23-Emerald IV

Lucas Hoogeveen‌, if Outlook (Exchange) is using Active Directory security groups, then it is definitely possible to map these to Windchill for use in team permissions.  There have been a bunch of different discussions here on the community about Active Directory integration.  Maybe start with this one: Re: Windchill Security - Joined Active Directory Groups

lhoogeveen
17-Peridot
(To:TomU)

Tom,

That was pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Not sure if it works in Windchill 10.1 M040 or if our current Active Directory Groups are Security vs Distribution but I'll have to dig into that and test.

Thanks!

Luke

TomU
23-Emerald IV

It's possible that AD distribution groups may work as well, but I haven't tested it.  As long as the LDAP query can return the values the JNDI adapter is looking for, it seems like it should work.  Should be easy enough to test with an LDAP query tool.

Top Tags