cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Representation creation upon WTPart creation/association to CAD data

TomM
12-Amethyst

Representation creation upon WTPart creation/association to CAD data

Hi,

Windchill 12.1.2.2, 

Two things I have issues with:

a) When there are legacy CAD files brought into WC and then WTParts are created and associated to them in bulk, can representations be created for them automatically? How - which settings control that? Also can representations be generated in bulk afterwards?

We're in a place where some items have representations, other do not:

parts.PNG

plate.PNG

 Sending them individually to WVS worker generates most of them but it's manual labour...

b) How do you set up the background in CAD and viewables generation on WTParts? In my case visualization on WTPart appears as expected because WTParts of backgrounds are not generated and do not participate in structure. However Creo View viewables (thumbnail and open in Creo View) contain 1:1 CAD default master representation which is undesirable.

Any tips appreciated!

Best regards,

Tom

4 REPLIES 4
avillanueva
22-Sapphire I
(To:TomM)

I just posted this but will recommend again this add-on:

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS211115?source=search

This allows you to publish and republish easily. 

The file that controls everything is the wvs.properties. There are many ways to set this up but by default it should publish on check in of CAD. There are other method of controlling how things are published, additional files, on state changes, etc. For that, see the docs for WVS. 

OOTB, there should be some jobs on the Site utils page in the WVS Schedule Administrator to publish items missing representations.

Fadel
22-Sapphire I

WVS Job Scheduler Administration is the only OOTB to do mass/bulk publishing, https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS353193 

Fede
d_graham
17-Peridot

I think if you want to publish ONLY objects that have not been published the easiest way to do this is with a custom Java utility.

The utility can be coded such that if the object already has a default representation skip it.

Likewise, the utility can write a log of any objects that failed to publish.

Yes, you can use the WVS Job Scheduler but that’s not very granular in filtering what will be published.

With your own utility you can be as granular as you like and it’s much similar than setting up a bunch of config files.😁

TomM
12-Amethyst

Allright, thanks for the tips.

Any suggestions for problem (b)? I think it's also controlled as part of the publish rules, but is anyone able to narrow down the section where I could find it?

Top Tags