cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Revaulting during the Nights / Weekends

Jee-Bee_CS
11-Garnet

Revaulting during the Nights / Weekends

Hello

I'm busy with an upgrade and daubting of also do a revault after this.

After a small test we calculated that a revault takes at least a week with full CPU usage of the SQL server.
If we want to do this with current behaviour we can't do normal work anymore.  (We are still busy finding performance so i leave them out.)

What i / we thought is the following. Basically we don't care if the the revaulting takeas one day or one month as long as the work can go on.

So the thougt was: Is it possible to run / schedule the revaulting process so that it only runs during night time / weekends.

Is this possible: If Yes any tips are welcome. If no does it make sense to make a Windchill idea from this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I just completed a revaulting. I wanted to make sure this did not execute during the day so I spaced out the revaulting into blocks. Overall it took a few weeks but there was a lot of unused time. In testing, we executed too much and the redo logs for the database filled up the storage volume. There are a lot of DB record changes. By looking at the contexts, I was able to create groups of products and libraries that when I changed the vaulting rules, would execute in 8 hour blocks. After each run, I would validate vaults and check progress. 

I do not think there is a setting to tell it to start and stop revaulting. These are queue jobs so those could be started and stopped however I would be nervous monkeying with them. I can tell you that there was one test run that had 3M+ file moves which causes a DB issue. System was successfully able to do what it could and after a few tries, did manage to swallow that goat without errors. So short answer is yes, you can schedule the runs to start but they will run till completion.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hi @Jee-Bee_CS 

There is currently no similar setting to meet the requirements, see https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS394172

Increase the performance of Revaulting from BLOB to vaults, see https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS77193

I just completed a revaulting. I wanted to make sure this did not execute during the day so I spaced out the revaulting into blocks. Overall it took a few weeks but there was a lot of unused time. In testing, we executed too much and the redo logs for the database filled up the storage volume. There are a lot of DB record changes. By looking at the contexts, I was able to create groups of products and libraries that when I changed the vaulting rules, would execute in 8 hour blocks. After each run, I would validate vaults and check progress. 

I do not think there is a setting to tell it to start and stop revaulting. These are queue jobs so those could be started and stopped however I would be nervous monkeying with them. I can tell you that there was one test run that had 3M+ file moves which causes a DB issue. System was successfully able to do what it could and after a few tries, did manage to swallow that goat without errors. So short answer is yes, you can schedule the runs to start but they will run till completion.

Top Tags