cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

WT Part - reusing and re-update automatically attributes values

Amirtharaj_K
15-Moonstone

WT Part - reusing and re-update automatically attributes values

Hi Guys,

I create a one WT Part (name:test1) and again i need to create a new WT Part when i create this i want the same attributes value what i filled in test1 i want the same things in new WT part (name:test2).

Point 1: I want both the WT Parts has been linked eachother.

Point 2: If any body modified the test1 WT Part it's also updated in test2. (Selected attributes only)

It's possible in our Windchill.

Regards,

Aj

9 REPLIES 9

Hi @Amirtharaj_K 

Your requirement is not covered by OOTB system. 

You can just create customization that does what you have described. 

PetrH 

Hi,

What is your business requirement? Many times, we quickly dive into the Technical solution level before analysing and matching the requirement to the nearest use case fulfilled by PLM.

Kindly share on what led to that approach? Use case will be helpful.

Cheers

Hari

To get the same attributes, you can:

1. Create test1
  2. Do a "Save As" on test1 to create test2

There is not much linking from WTPart to WTPart OOTB that I know of. You can consider linking both WTParts to the same CAD model. With the right linking, you can update the CAD attributes, and it will update both WTParts. 

See: https://support.ptc.com/help/wnc/r12.0.0.0/en/index.html#page/Windchill_Help_Center%2FMCPR_BuildRulesAndLinksOview.html%23

Apologize for the delay in response, @HelesicPetr @Hari_Vara @joe_morton 

I have two different design teams.

1, One we can call the Main team, worked on first to create a Main Model and define a few attributes like pressure, texture, and so on.

2. And another one we can call a sub-team, they create a sub-asm based on the attributes values that the main team has described.

Both teams have been working together, but if there are any changes or requests from the customer, the main team will change the value without informing the subteam. Because of this more time has been consumed to change the design, some prototypes have already been made and are scrapped directly.

That's why I asked. One WT part has been created by the main team, and the other team has been duplicated. If anyone changes anything, it will update on both sides with notification.

Regards,

AJ

Hi,

There is OOTB function called "Subscribe". This will notify any change in Part attributes , and much more and notify its subscribers.

So put your secondary team in the subscriber list of the Part of interest. 

Please do a prototype of this and do a rough sanity test. 

I think this will work for you.

Best Regards

Hari

Hi @Amirtharaj_K 

I would advice to think about the change process of the main team. 

Why they don't inform the subteam members? Why in the end of the change there is not a task to inform subteam?

This is bad process behavior . 

If you use some change workflow just add the subteam to the workflow and inform them by email about changes. 

Or as @Hari_Vara has mentioned, use the subscription.  You can define the subscription on context level so user don't have to do so manualy.

It is more easy to change process compare to trying to use a hard Windchill customization . 

PetrH

Hari_Vara
13-Aquamarine
(To:HelesicPetr)

Hi @HelesicPetr

I was thinking the exact thing, on the having a change process. this will be the correct process approach.

His team should eventually get there. But Subscribe will be his first win to shepherd them to a change process.

This is a good example on why we should not jump to technical solution before understanding he Business Requirement. And also many many things are possible OOTB or Configurations. It takes a good solution architect to get to the best solution without much customization. As we all know!

Cheers

Hari

Apoloigize for the delay in respond @Hari_Vara @HelesicPetr @joe_morton 

I know they were not following the standard, but they did care about the SUB-Level team. The sub-level team has encountered challenges like reworking, scrapping, and other problems. That's why I am asking this question. Thank you for your suggestion on this.

Is it possible to have an automatic active subscription that notifies a specific person when changes are made? Is it possible? Kindly share the DOC, Articles and video for subscription.

Regards,

AJ

Hi,

Subscriptions once made to a part are always automatic and active to events like Check out, Edits, LC changes, (you can pick and choose).

So, basically, if a user even checks out, Subscription will automatically notify its subscribers.

Also, its very easy to see who has subscribed from the part, its a tab.

Please check it directly in your PROD, there is no harm.

Best Rgds

Hari

Top Tags