cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Windchill 12.0.2.2 UpgradeManager fails in Execute Server Migrators, Update "TabLayout" pref

RandyJones
19-Tanzanite

Windchill 12.0.2.2 UpgradeManager fails in Execute Server Migrators, Update "TabLayout" pref

I am attempting, on a test server, to upgrade from 11.1 M020-CPS22 to 12.0.2.2. I have previously ran a plethora of successful upgrades of various versions including  a recent 11.1 M20-CPS17 to 12.0.1.1. This is my first with a target system of 12.0.2.X.

So I have am very familiar with the upgrade process. We have customizations which I have incorporated into the target machine same as previous upgrades. However this time the Upgrade Manager fails in the Execute Server Migrators step on the Update "TabLayout" preference task.

I do have a case open with PTC and the TS initial response was: "The source of this particular error can be from multiple sources but the first thing to check are customizations. Did you implement and validate all source customizations on the target prior to running the UGM? We could also try knocking the target system down to a single MS monolithic system and see what happens."

I have tried the "knocking the target system down to a single MS monolithic system and see what happens" and it still fails.

I have attached the html file

<Windchill Install>/Upgrade/UpgradeReports/ExecuteServerMigrators/ExecuteServerMigrators-20211203-221112.html

file and stuck it in a 7z file because this forum refuses to take an html file. 

Anybody have any ideas of what the Upgrade Manager is complaining about?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I turns out the UpgradeManager does not properly handle additional ldap directories that do not have credentials. We have a custom OpenLDAP setup added to Windchill by following https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS29454. The Windchill access to this needs no credentials and in fact it you do have credentials (an entry in codebase/WEB-INF/mapCredentials.txt) it refuses to work.

I hadn't noticed the UpgradeManager had done this (incorrectly added OpenLDAP entries to mapCredentials.txt). The PTC TS questions asked and what files he was looking for finally brought this to my attention. So I corrected the mapcredentials.admin.adapters property, propogated that, and checked codebase/WEB-INF/mapCredentials.txt to make sure this was not correct. After this the UpgradeManager ran fine.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hello,

Based on the error " 'Message: Resource bundle/Message key = wt.pom.pomResource/10'" I would checked wtCustom folder and apply a process to propagate custom enumerations to a system.

Sometimes I forgot to do so, and some values were missing in the definition. Update tool had problem with enumerated values if the definition is missing in my case.

For example custom Life states or change transitions and so on.

This is just my first idea if I saw Resource bundle error.

Best Regards,

PetrH 

I turns out the UpgradeManager does not properly handle additional ldap directories that do not have credentials. We have a custom OpenLDAP setup added to Windchill by following https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS29454. The Windchill access to this needs no credentials and in fact it you do have credentials (an entry in codebase/WEB-INF/mapCredentials.txt) it refuses to work.

I hadn't noticed the UpgradeManager had done this (incorrectly added OpenLDAP entries to mapCredentials.txt). The PTC TS questions asked and what files he was looking for finally brought this to my attention. So I corrected the mapcredentials.admin.adapters property, propogated that, and checked codebase/WEB-INF/mapCredentials.txt to make sure this was not correct. After this the UpgradeManager ran fine.

Hello,

I have the same error,

Did you start all the upgrade from the beginning (restore db etc.) or you only restarted the upgrade manager. Because I corrected the codebase/WEB-INF/mapCredentials.txt but still getting the error.

RandyJones
19-Tanzanite
(To:cyildirim)

@cyildirim wrote:

Hello,

I have the same error,

Did you start all the upgrade from the beginning (restore db etc.) or you only restarted the upgrade manager. Because I corrected the codebase/WEB-INF/mapCredentials.txt but still getting the error.

Make sure you also fix the mapcredentials.admin.adapters property the Upgrade Manager creates. Look both in site.xconf and the UpgradeSiteOverrides.xconf.

I actually had better luck not copying the custom adapter using the UpgradeManager. So during the "Gather Upgrade Properties" part of the Upgrade Manager take a look at the "Additional Adapters" tab and select No for "Copy to Target System".

After the UpgradeManager completes then you will need to re-create the custom adapter - even if you have already created it in the target system. The UpgradeManager will blindly remove the already created one 😞

Top Tags