cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Windchill CAD document file name based on number and name

SC_10041036
7-Bedrock

Windchill CAD document file name based on number and name

Hello,

I'm currently implementing Windchill with Creo and I'm facing some issue with the file name, common name, name and number.

For now, I've set up creo file name=number as auto generated, the creo/Windchill name is set manually with descriptive text. Engineers are not so happy as they don't see the descriptive name in the creo windows (expect in the tree) or when they open creo file from their workspace.

Is there a way to set creo file name by concatenate the number and the common name? 

Thanks

Windchill 12 / Creo 7.0.2.0

7 REPLIES 7
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:SC_10041036)

This what I wrote up for our users.

Drawing Titles

I know there have been questions on what to name a file when creating one in Creo or renaming in Windchill, if named wrong when created in Creo. Here are some guidelines so you all understand how the file naming goes and which Creo names get mapped to which Windchill names. Even us using Windchill for 10+ years have always questioned why the different terminology and have asked PTC to change it.

Here is an overview of what goes where:

1. Creo requires 2 pieces of information when creating a new file:
    1. The Name field (Limited to 31 characters with no spaces)
    2. The Common name field (Tested with 123 character name length, however from ASME Y14.100, it should follow this: “The title shall be as brief as possible, describe the item, and distinguish between similar items”)
  2. These get mapped to 3 items in Windchill:
    1. The Name gets mapped to Number and File Name
    2. The Common name gets mapped to an internal parameter, PTC_COMMON_NAME, which is displayed in Windchill as the Name
  3. The File Name is what shows up in your Model Tree.
  4. The File Name MUST be unique in Windchill.
  5. The Common Name field when mapped to PTC_COMMON_NAME shows up in the drawing title as the top line and in the Name field of an assembly BOM table.
  6. The Number column in a BOM is created by a relation that takes the internal parameter of rel_model_name and maps it to the PDM_NUMBER parameter used in the BOM. If you rename a file in Windchill, you must open the file in Creo, regen and then resave it to get the PDM_NUMBER to update. Once the part is done, the BOM of the assembly will update.

With that, now comes the question of HOW to name a file. We have stated that one of the industry standards we follow is ASME Y14.100. Section 5 (page 9) deals with Drawing Titles. There is also a reference to Appendix C for constructing Drawing Titles. Also read Section 4.26 for drawing notes and terminology.

Thanks for your answer. Is there a way to have the file name updated when uploaded to windchill with the combination of the number and the name? To identify quickly on which drawing we are working.

Or is there a way to replace the file name in creo tree and in creo windows name (on the top) with the name? I've already added an additional column in creo tree with the common name but it's taking some place.

For the file>Open (workspace) issue... 

1. Create a custom Workspace View
    1. Note: view can be created by an admin, or the end users.
  2. RMB in the file>open window Views > Select the view created in 1

jbailey_0-1691098458182.png

jbailey_1-1691098463221.png

Thanks but that was not my question.

I know it was not your question, but sometimes resisting customizing by finding unique solutions to problems will help you in the long run.

The issue is about navigating in Creo not in Windchill (tree, windows name...). Creating a new view in Windchill, will not help it.

You could always put an annotation in the model flat to screen that displays an attribute that is descriptive. (I would write a mapkey).

Top Tags