cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Windchill logs Editable

AP_10483126
10-Marble

Windchill logs Editable

If Windows is hosted on the Windows OS can the old and current logs be editable?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Can you clarify what you mean? Are you referring to adding comments?

avillanueva_0-1715945942107.png

I am not sure why the OS should have any bearing on this. Logs should be restricted to only the user who runs Windchill. This would prevent someone from removing logs to cover tracks of a breach. Ideally, you should be collecting logs to a central threat detection package for log analysis. These are just text files so if you grant access, they are editable. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Can you clarify what you mean? Are you referring to adding comments?

avillanueva_0-1715945942107.png

I am not sure why the OS should have any bearing on this. Logs should be restricted to only the user who runs Windchill. This would prevent someone from removing logs to cover tracks of a breach. Ideally, you should be collecting logs to a central threat detection package for log analysis. These are just text files so if you grant access, they are editable. 

I mean when something is logged for a user can the person having the administrator access edit the logs and delete those ?

Not from the web interface. Yes, its a text file. Anything is possible. What the case why you would delete it?

So an administrator would eb able to alter the logs. The security team wants to understand if the logs are editable by whom?

Hi @AP_10483126 

Standard Windchill user does not have access to the logs, and to the server.

A Person who has an access to the server, and can see the Windchill folder, and has windows rights then the person can edit the logs

What @avillanueva has mentioned with commenting the logs, this operation can do only Windchill administrators 

PetrH

Top Tags