cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Windchill should work without a VPN

PK_10753886
6-Contributor

Windchill should work without a VPN

Hello All,

we have dev environment for Windchill (dev1, dev2 & dev 3). They are only accessible through VPN

The requirement is that they should be accessible without the VPN. Can you please let me know how to start with this & what needs to be done from our end?

And also share if there is any documentation for it

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

This has nothing to do with Windchill and you should not need to reconfigure anything with those environments. This is all about your IT environment. Internal to your IT network, I cannot see how a VPN would be needed but outside say remote or from home, you should always use a VPN. I am not sure why you would want to leave any environment accessible to the world unless you want it public. 

If the requirement is as you state, then I think these instances would need to be cloud based or located in a DMZ if hosted locally. Either way, there is nothing that should change specifically for Windchill to enable other than setting up HTTPS but that is a security issue. Since its Dev, you want to make sure that you can not only access the web interface but also SSH to the system and port graphics back if Linux. Ensure you have a good build process for updating customizations. All of this is done via firewall changes.

mmeadows-3
14-Alexandrite
(To:avillanueva)

FYI: Not going through VPN exposes your Windchill instances to the world.  Take care that there is nothing particular to the company in them (configuration or data) that could facilitate hacking or expose intellectual property.

Top Tags