cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

restrict change of lifecycle state through Importable spreadsheet

OD_10839055
5-Regular Member

restrict change of lifecycle state through Importable spreadsheet

I am using Windchill PDMLink Release 12.1 and Datecode with CPS 12.1.0.0

How can we restrict users from changing the lifecycle state using the importable spreadsheet?
We attempted to deny/absolutely deny access to set state, but users can still change the state via the importable spreadsheet.
Additional context: Users should have access to use the importable spreadsheet but rights should be restricted only on changing the lifecycle state.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

One workaround is to simply not have the state column in the spreadsheet. It will then leave State unchanged.

Unlike the Name and End Item columns which are required. One has to go to a lot of extra work to make sure these are not changed when importing a spreadsheet.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Fadel
22-Sapphire I
(To:OD_10839055)

just to be on the same wave , when u are importing the spreadsheet the state in the excel is applied to the new iteration right , the old one keep its state ?

Fadel_0-1710859911545.png

Fede
OD_10839055
5-Regular Member
(To:Fadel)

Thank you for your reply!

Yes when importing the spreadsheet the state in excel is applied to the new iteration. 

The state is editable in the spreadsheet and once uploaded you can see the changed state in the new iteration. 

We want the user to be able to use the importable spreadsheet for updating WTParts attributes. However the user should not be able to change the state with this functionality; is there any configurations/access permission control to avoid that a user can make changes on the lifecycle state through the importable spreadsheet. 

Fadel
22-Sapphire I
(To:OD_10839055)

this use case is not a state change ,State change is within same version .

I'm not sure if this request is possible OOTB .

Fede
d_graham
17-Peridot
(To:Fadel)

@Fadel I would agree, this is a no can do if looking for OOTB solution.

@OD_10839055 

This can be restricted using a listener.

Hari_Vara
13-Aquamarine
(To:d_graham)

Hi all,

Interesting scenario!

This old adage comes to my mind "If something can be done , It will be done"., I never imagined that user will use import to change state, I think it is to bypass some standard procedure.

Anyway, Can't this be achieved by having that State Transition allowed only via "Change" or "Promotion Request" and not allow by "Set State", in the LC template?

What do you think?

Cheers

Hari

One workaround is to simply not have the state column in the spreadsheet. It will then leave State unchanged.

Unlike the Name and End Item columns which are required. One has to go to a lot of extra work to make sure these are not changed when importing a spreadsheet.

You’d still need a way to automatically check that the state has been removed 🤷‍♂️

RandyJones
19-Tanzanite
(To:d_graham)

@d_graham wrote:

You’d still need a way to automatically check that the state has been removed 🤷‍♂️

That is for sure. However assuming that most of the time the admin is the one giving the users a sample spreadsheet to use it would be up to the admin to leave out the state column in the sample.

Hello OD_10839055,

Will you need further information ?

KR,

Charles.

Top Tags