cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

in MKS Source : Transforming a folder in subproject

ptc-6606728
1-Newbie

in MKS Source : Transforming a folder in subproject

Hello,

is there a way to do the change from a folder to subproject (a lot of folder have been created by errors they should be subproject).

BR

Lionel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LLawton
14-Alexandrite
(To:mrump)

Just a couple more details to add to Matthias' response:

- I guess step 1.1 is for safety so you have a local backup, since everything can be done from the Project view.

- Step 3 is optional: if you use the "Create Subprojects" option or you set it as a policy as explained before, the subprojects will be created automatically when you add the members. That can save you a lot of work if you have large projects and many nested folders.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
JensN.
13-Aquamarine
(To:ptc-6606728)

I thought all "folders" in source integrity actually are subprojects? How did you create folders which are not subprojects?

kind regards, Jens

mrump
14-Alexandrite
(To:JensN.)

Actually "creating a subproject for each folder" is an option in the "addMember", "AddMembersFromArchive"m "moveMember" and "MoveSubprojects" command.

I'd not recommend to set this option to false, as it limits your options for future use of these folders.

• You cannot checkpoint or label them individually, as you can do with subprojects.
  • You cannot create specific ACLs, as you can do with subprojects.
  • You cannot share them individually, as you can do with subprojects.

So to avoid any of this, you can "enforce" a true using the Configuration Management global policies in the admingui.

Just add this in the text field on the "Other" tab.

si.AddMembers.createSubprojects=true

si.AddMembers.createSubprojects;locked=true

si.AddMembersFromArchive.createSubprojects=true

si.AddMembersFromArchive.createSubprojects;locked=true

si.MoveMembers.createSubprojects=true

si.MoveMembers.createSubprojects;locked=true

si.MoveSubprojects.createSubprojects=true

si.MoveSubprojects.createSubprojects;locked=true

HTH Matthias

Yes matthias you're right. and you answer to Jens correctly, But not to mine 😉

Policies has already been changed after seeing this problem so we won't have new folders, but is it possible to transform folder in subproject ?

mrump
14-Alexandrite

Sorry Lionel,

seems like I just lost fokus .

Here's what i would try.

1. checkpoint your project

1.1 create a sandbox of you project and resync.

2. open the project in a project view and drop the folders.

3. create the subprojects in question manually in the project view

4. use "add member from archive" to fill the new subprojects individually

finally check your sandbox and resync.

HTH Matthias

LLawton
14-Alexandrite

Just a couple more details to add to Matthias' response:

- I guess step 1.1 is for safety so you have a local backup, since everything can be done from the Project view.

- Step 3 is optional: if you use the "Create Subprojects" option or you set it as a policy as explained before, the subprojects will be created automatically when you add the members. That can save you a lot of work if you have large projects and many nested folders.

Thanks Laurent and Matthias i'm trying this .

BR

Lionel

Some time ago I came to the idea to generate a batch file for this with following approach:

gen_folder_as_project_batch.bat

set FOLDERNAME=src

si print -R --revision=:member --format="si addmemberfromarchive --cpid=:none --archive \"{archivename}\" --revision={memberrev} --createsubprojects \"{membername}\" & pause \n" --noHeaderFormat --noTrailerFormat --filter=file:"%FOLDERNAME%/*" > "%FOLDERNAME%_ as_project.bat"

Please review yourself.

This example will generate "src_as_project.bat"

Regards

Jürgen

KaelLizak
14-Alexandrite

This has been captured in CS186912.

(Actually, it's from a case that pre-dates our current KB, but it's effectively the same as Matthias' answer. I expect Lionel will shortly be marking Matthias' answer as correct. )

Regards,

Kael

Kind Regards,
Kael Lizak

Senior Technical Support Engineer
PTC Integrity Lifecycle Manager

Hello all,

I have almost done as mathias describe, just I have not dropped the folders in 2 but at the end.

So after having create subprojects, I can add non members drom sandbox menu, and then delete the folders.

After that I have to delete entirely my sand box and recreate a new one because file seemed lost.

But they were effectively here.

So thank you for your help.

BR

Lionel

KaelLizak
14-Alexandrite

Hello Lionel,

To let everyone know what what helped you resolve this issue, please click theCorrect Image button on Mattias' answer.

Doing this lets anyone else looking for this information see the answer you chose to solve your problem.

Thanks,

Kael

Kind Regards,
Kael Lizak

Senior Technical Support Engineer
PTC Integrity Lifecycle Manager
Top Tags