cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

An unknown runtime error occurred. Exiting

BStump-disabled
1-Newbie

I have several linked Mathcad 14 files that were working fine yesterday. But to day I get the following messages in all the files with referenced worksheets with the exception of one.

The exception unknown exception occurred (oxc0000005) occurred in the application at location 0x01a4e194.

All the files without the references open fine. But MathCad crashes on these. The one with a reference in the no printing column only works fine.

I copies these to a second folder and tried to eliminate the sections of the XML code that refers to the references in one of these bad files but it did not help. Eliminating the bulk of the body of the xml file to make it look like a plank sheet does work and it will open.

I don't have a backup of these files so I need to recover them. Any chance one of you how is both a MathCad and an XML genius can determine what is wrong?

Yes I know many of you frown at referenced worksheet but this set of documents needs to go to a government agency and show everything. Many of these calculations are repeated many times and it is easier for them to read thru the referenced functions rather than repeating them across 40 worksheets.
14 REPLIES 14

On 9/7/2009 12:53:31 AM, BStump wrote:
All the files without the references open fine. But MathCad crashes on these. The one with a reference in the no printing column only works fine.

I copies these to a second folder and tried to eliminate the sections of the XML code that refers to the references in one of these bad files but it did not help. Eliminating the bulk of the body of the xml file to make it look like a plank sheet does work and it will open.

I don't have a backup of these files so I need to recover them. Any chance one of you how is both a MathCad and an XML genius can determine what is wrong?

Yes I know many of you frown at referenced worksheet but this set of documents needs to go to a government agency and show everything.

Your posted xmcd file opened without problem on my PC, although it did not work because the references don't exist at my end.

I'm not clear from what you've written as to whether you've tried opening each of the referenced files in turn - the commonality of failure seems to indicate that the problem lies with one of these files rather than the calling worksheets.

Have you, in your second folder, tried replacing each of the referenced worksheets with a blank worksheet to see what effect it has?

If you do identify the offending worksheet, and are under maintenance with PTC, then you could try asking them to recover the file for you. If you aren't under maintenance, then the attached worksheet may be of some assistance - it allows the user to search for xml bad regions in an xmcd file.

Stuart

I have tried several things. I am attaching a zip file of all of them. See if they all open for you. If they do great. I suspect it is the file called "General Inputs.xmcd" that is causing me grief.

I see no attachment....

Luc

Hi Stuart,

I came across your file whilst looking for help on a seemingly corrupt worksheet.  I have tried running it with the damaged sheet, but it does not seem to recognise the file name, and so keeps the following functions 'redded' out.  Is there some trick to directing MC to find my worksheet so that it can read it in your worksheet?  I have applied an undamaged sheet as well but still do not any result.

Thanks

Frank

The file you posted opens just fin on my system. Of course, none of the referenced files are found, so essentially nothing works. But there does not seem to be anything wrong with the file itself. I did notice that most of the references are relative, but the general inputs file reference is not, and so refers to a directory that may exist on your system, but does not exist on mine. If you have trouble loading that sheet (rather than the referenced sheets) try repairing your MC installation. Also the prereqs -- .NET framework and XML support.

This baffles me as I can't open these on two different computers on my network but you can. Hmm...

Oh yeah, I did try a reinstall of my MC installation and that did not help. And the other computer already had MC installed but typicality does not use it. Only commonality would be a virus scan eliminating some other required files somewhere.

I can open the one file that you posted. But I have no idea about any of the referenced files, as you didn't post any of them.

Can you open the referenced files themselves, independently of the master file?

I posted the full set earlier. Please try that. I hate it when it appears to be just my system. Maybe you can save them down to plain .mcd files.

You may have intended to post the complete set. But you didn't actually do so.

What do you get when you try to load the referenced file individually?

That recovery file that was posted by Stuart seems to work. Thanks all.

It turned out to be a simple Text box input control that caused all the issue. Using the recovery worksheet allowed me to find and eliminate it. All files worked then.

Thanks all.

Is this common? I just created a file today, saved it. Later, I tried to open it and MathCAD exits:
"An unknown runtime error occurred. Exiting..."

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:ScottPayne)

Is this common? I just created a file today, saved it. Later, I tried to open it and MathCAD exits:
"An unknown runtime error occurred. Exiting..."

Not that common.

Your Mathcad files seems corrupted. I tried opening and Mathcad immediately shut down, I tried renaming without success.

Mike

Top Tags