cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Assembly

JoseVidal
1-Newbie

Assembly

Hello all, I have two questions regarding assembly files: If I change the filename of one part contained in an assembly, when I open that assembly Pro/E returns an error. So I choose FIND COMPONENT and browse to the new filename. If I close the assembly and open it back again, the error maintains. It seems Pro/E forgets the new file location. -------------------------- If I SAVE A COPY of an assembly, all the parts to wich I choose REUSE fail when I open the new assembly. However the NEW NAME option seems to work just fine. Am I doing something wrong? How may I fix this? Thanks in advance!
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
24 REPLIES 24
Kevin
10-Marble
(To:JoseVidal)

When you rename a component that is part of an assembly make sure you have the assembly open or in session when you rename the part. If the assembly is in seesion but not open make sure you open it and save it before erasing from memory.

Are you sure all your parts reside in the same working directory? This is not necessary, but your assembly will not find your parts if PROE does not know where they are located. You can specify where PROE should find parts if it happens that they are not in the working directory. Set a "search_path_file" in the config.pro. This is a text file containing the path to different directories in which those parts may be located. Let me know if you need help setting it up. Good luck.

Thanks for the tip on the config.pro file usage. I have often wondered about how to set up ProE to find components not in the directory of the assembly. Where can I get a comprehensive description of how to configure and what syntax to use for the config.pro file? Is this a common software language that I can get books on the subject? I had a question in another post that was not answered. Maybe you can help me. Wally
FM
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:ptc-1836512)

You can tell Pro/E where to look with a search_path option in the config.pro It should look like this: search_path c:\works\project1_parts\std_parts for exemple You can create few lines in the config.pro file in order to search on several directories. But rather than changing the config.pro each time, you can create a new ***.pro file containing a list of directories where Pro/E have to look. Then put a line in the config.pro file to look at your file: for exemple search_path_file c:\config\search.pro This file for exemple search.pro have to be create like this: you can use ! for comments: ! list of directories to search path search_path c:\std\project1 search_path c:\std\project2 search_path c:\std\project3 search_path c:\std\project3 ..... Pro/E will read this file at start-up and search in those directories to find files uses in the assembly . It's a good way to works on an assembly with severals components from various directories. Sorry for my english I'm from France
ptc-313948
1-Newbie
(To:FM)

Wally, Unfortunately, I am not sure if there are any comprehensive documentation on how to configure the "config.pro" file. Before Wildfire, you had to have magical powers to understand the syntax of the file. Now, it is a bit easier because if you access this file inside PROE, it will guide you on what you need to set, although you still need to have an idea of what variable you are looking for. The users and on-line help may prove useful. Otherwise, keep playing with it until you get what you want.

Fabian, Thank you for taking the time to explain this to me. This was very helpful. If possible can you clarify one thing. Will ProE look in subdirectories within the directories listed. In your example, suppose that there was a folder called “PARTS� in the “projects2� folder. Would I have to also list “search_path c:\std\project2\PARTS� in the search.pro file? (I suppose that this would be simple enough to try.) Also, do you find that you tailor this file search path to speed up your system or is this process quick enough for you to not need to limit the search? And, your English is great. I did not think twice about it until you mentioned it. Rolando, Thanks for the heads up on books available. I will use ProE to work with the config.pro file. This should save me some head aches. I wish the nomenclature was more obvious, but in time I am sure it will become easier. Wally

ProE will look for files only in the named directories in the order they are mentioned, not in subfolders. When the component is found the search ends. If you have many search paths you should order them to have folders with most hits come first.

The load sequence is - memory - working directory - search paths in the given order

Hi guys, Well the search path option seems to be a solution for part oof my problem. However I'm still running into some dificulties regarding the Save a Copy and REUSE option. Anyone knows how to solve this? Thanks for all your replies! Best regards!

Jose, If components are defined with relations, external references, or copy of geometry (...), you must create a new name for this parts.

Hello guys and thanks again for all your replies! So I managed to sucessfully configure my search.pro file and my assembly is now working properly and loading all parts and subassemblies without any problem. Now the question is: My standard parts library has 10/12 folders and each of those has some subfolders. This means that I have to manually input about 150 directory paths into my search.pro file!! This also means that each time I create a new standard part subfolder I must update my search.pro file. Is there any workaround for this? Is it possible to define a top level folder and have Pro/E search all of the minor level folders? Thanks a lot! Best regards.

Jose, As far as I know, there is no workaround regarding the addition of subfolders to the search path file. What I do is to limit the number of subfolders and whenever there is a need to create a new folder or subfolder I have to add the new path to the search path file.

Thanks Rolando, I guess I have no other choice but to do the same. Unfortunately I cannot reorganize my standard parts folder or all my previous assemblies will fail. Thanks again for you help. Best regards

You might try http://www.geocities.com/arossbach/proe.html Look for #downloads #search_pro generator

unfortunately I have to use IE to access this site
SylvainA.
4-Participant
(To:ReinhardN)

Hello, you can find a list of all config.pro options in www.ptc.com>SUPPORT>PRO/ENGINEER>Reference documents

"Reinhard Nueckel" wrote:

You might try http://www.geocities.com/arossbach/proe.html Look for #downloads #search_pro generator

"Reinhard Nueckel" wrote:

unfortunately I have to use IE to access this site

For windows users Try this in command prompt where your std files are available eg. c:\std_parts\dir/b/ad/s >path.txt Use this text file, just copy and paste into search.pro then edit the config.pro give the location of search.pro. S Suresh

Hello guys, I'm back at the dog house! Without any reasonable explanation (that I can think of) my assembly is failling again... I'm experiencing the same problems I had before I set up my search.pro file - Missing components that I have to tell Pro/E where they are every time I open the assembly. My search.pro is set and I have the search_path_file option also set in my config.pro file. However this may be related to some new errors I keep bumping in. When I try to drag a component I get an error message saying the assembly failed (see asm_fail.jpg file). I also noticed an icon I had never seen before on my Status Bar with the description "The model is disconnected" (see disconnected.jpg file) Anyone care to help? Thanks a lot! Best regards! JVidal

I eventually solved my "Disconnected Model" issue. There were some references missing... However I still cannot understand why I keep getting "Missing Components" errors, even when I know (confirmed it again and again) that the search path is on my search.pro file. Another thing that bothers me is the fact that ProE cannot remeber the path for the files even after I pointed them more than once. This is driving me insane. Everytime I open an assembly I have to find 10/15 parts... Please, can anyone give me hint? Best regards! JVidal

special charcters or blanks in your path ? ProE doesnt like them.

Hello Reinhard, Yes I have special characters and blanks, however I have my search paths between quotes. Anyway, I'll try to change a few search paths tomorrow and I'll get back to you (I'm not on my computer right now). Thank you! Best regards! JVidal

I managed to solve my problem. It has nothing to do with ProE and it has to be the most unbelievable error! Using the search_pro_generator I created my search.pro file. Since my directories had spaces in their names I needed to enclosed each of the paths in quotes. I had about 200 directories so, using the CONCATENATE funcion in Microsoft Excel I combined 3 columns 9of the spreadsheet: 1. Column had " 2. Column had my directories 3. Column had " 4. Column was a combination of the 3 previous columns I then copy/paste the 4th column into notepad and created the search.pro file. What I didn't noticed was that when I copy/pasted the 4th column the quotes were slightly different and were not recongized by ProE. I did a replace all within Notepad and it worked! So, if any of you has the same problem verify that the quotes are the correct ones, or else... Best regards! JVidal
Top Tags