cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

BMX / Pro/M & Mathcad - design study

MichalMascenik
1-Newbie

BMX / Pro/M & Mathcad - design study

Hi PTC, is it somehow possible to make Mathcad, BMX module and finally Pro/MECHANICA modules works together? Is'nt it maybe even useless to use BMX and Mathcad together? (because of relatively high price of both). What about ratio price/effectivity? Lets say that we have these modules and we would like to use them together to find the best design solution of our product for us.(piston shape, propeller, gear wheel, thin shaft, some part of huge mechanism, robot arms and so on...) If i remember correct the BMX module works with Simplex algorithm but additionally we can define almost any onther math method with Mathcad. Our design case study would look like: - Find the best design solution of our product with difficult geometrical shape - Whole geometrical shape of our product would be defined with parameters (some of them with relations) - Design variables would be given by mathematical expressions in Mathcad and the results of that would be for example some range of parameters - Selected parameters or all of resulted parameters would be used as input variables for BMX sensitivity, feasibility and finally the geometrical shape optimisation. - BMX would find the best geometrical shape for us - Nextly defined geometrical shape would be evaluated in Pro/MECHANICA to find the best mechanical properties like stiffness, max stresses, min deflections with minimal total weight and as highest lifetime of the product as is possible..) Our questions: 1) Would be possible to do such an advanced design study of the product with using of mentioned additional modules for Pro/E? 2) How the export and import of the parameters works between the modules in such a case? Thanks in advance
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
8 REPLIES 8

Does anybody have any suggestion or tip for us please?

I guess the quick answer to your request would be to take a training class on BMX. There is not a "quick" tutorial that could answer your entire request. If you have access to the PTC University there is a class on the BMX module. Otherwise a classroom class is the next best option. Finally using a consultant would be your last option to get your model setup. BMX is basically taking in the parameters that you select and varying those parameters so that a graphic output of the results is displayed. It takes inputs from both MathCad and Mechanica. At that point you can decide which iteration best fits your design. Good Luck Eric

Hi Eric, thanks for your reply. I was not expecting any tutorial from here becase there probalby is not even one (maybe for PTC internal use only). Acctually I understand how BMX module works (am working with this module sometimes) but i would like to know if does any company (or PTC) use this combination of mentioned modules and if so how this technique and advance engineering approach would look like. So how does the transfers of the parameters into and from the relatively new module Mathcad to each other module works?

Hi Michal, Below is a link to a very good tutorial on using BMX & Mechanica together. http://www.ptc.com/cs/cs_26/howto/apm11785/apm11785.htm Hope this helps.. Rameet

Hi Rameet, thanks for usefull link but as I was asking above, am mainly interested to: how to make connections of parameters between Mathcad and mentioned modules.

Hi Michal, Here is the link for integrating Mathcad & Pro/E using parameters: http://www.ptc.com/cs/cs_26/howto/beh12103/beh12103_a.htm. Please have a look at "Introduction to Pro/ENGINEER-Mathcad Integration. Compatibility of Units (Length, Area, Angle, Volume, Density, etc)." Hope this helps. Rameet

Hi Michal, The link below has a small mistake.It should be: http://www.ptc.com/cs/cs_26/howto/beh12103/beh12103_a.htm Rameet

Hi Michal,

You may find some useful tutorials on LearningExchange, a new site from PTC University which features tutorials on many PTC products and topics http://learningexchange.ptc.com/

Top Tags