cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community email notifications are disrupted. While we are working to resolve, please check on your favorite boards regularly to keep up with your conversations and new topics.

Broken Views

scserep
1-Newbie

Broken Views

All,

I am using WF2, M280.
I have a motor with a long pigtail. I would like to break the
drawing views down to better fit the page. (i.e. take 75% if the length
out of the view)

1) I can create a broken view, but it seems it can only be created
vertically or horizontally, not parallel to the pigtail. Since the
pigtail rests at a 45° angle, I need the broken sketch to occur at a 45°
angle to effectively reduce the view size.
2) I created the horizontal/vertical broken view, but it is
effectively worse then the plain general view. How do you convert a
broken view back to a general view. I see no way of removing or
deleting the broken view once it is created. (I have other projected
views built off the general, so deleting the entire view is not
preferred).

Regards,

Scott Cserep
Design Engineer
(ph)815-874-7821 ext 2920
(fx)815-874-2144

--
This e-mail and any attachments contain privileged or confidential information and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any copying, distribution, dissemination or action taken in relation to the contents of this e-mail and any of its attachments is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail in error, you must notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the original e-mail and destroy any copies or printouts of this e-mail as well as any attachments. Any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Bergstrom Inc. The recipient is solely responsible for checking this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. Bergstrom Inc. accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail. Notice is hereby giv
en that no representation, contract or other binding obligation shall be created for and on behalf of Bergstrom Inc. by this e-mail. Any representations, contract or other binding obligations shall be separately executed in writing and can be signed only by a duly authorized officer of Bergstrom Inc.
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
12 REPLIES 12

You can cheat and create two partial views (one of the motor, one of the
end of the pigtail) and line them up so they look good on the drawing by
making the end of the pigtail view an auxillary view. Sketch some nice
break lines and all is good. As for getting rid of a broken view, I can't
figure it out either (in 5 minutes).

cheers
--
Mark von Huben

|------------>
| From: |
|------------>
mlocascio
4-Participant
(To:scserep)

Sounds like an AutoCAD approach, but it might just work.

Michael P. Locascio

Broken views are ugly.
One thing you can do is create a horizontal and verticle break, then erase, not delete, the views that are not needed.
Again, it is ugly, but it does work.

-----End Original Message-----

"2) I created the horizontal/vertical broken view, but it is
effectively worse then the plain general view. How do you convert a
broken view back to a general view. I see no way of removing or
deleting the broken view once it is created. (I have other projected
views built off the general, so deleting the entire view is not
preferred)."

I've found that trying to redefine a broken view is almost impossible.
You have to create it right the first time, or delete it and try again.

What might help you is that Pro/E is really good at redefining standard
views. Try creating your new parent view, then for each projection,
first change it to a General view, then move it in line with the new
parent, then change it back to a Projection and select the new parent.
I'm always impressed at how well you can change views in this way.

HTH,
Jonathan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail from your system. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Ricardo (save for reports and other documentation formally approved and signed for release to the intended recipient). Only Directors are authorised to enter into legally binding obligations on behalf of Ricardo. Ricardo may monitor outgoing and incoming e-mails and other telecommunications systems.
By replying to this e-mail you give consent to such monitoring. The recipient should check e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. Ricardo accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail. "Ricardo" means Ricardo plc and its subsidiary companies.
Ricardo plc is a public limited company registered in England with registered number 00222915.
The registered office of Ricardo plc is Shoreham Technical Centre, Shoreham-by Sea, West Sussex, BN43 5FG.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

I find that broken views are much easier to maintain if you do a little
prep work in you model first.

Since you can attach the break lines to model geometry, I create datum
points where I want the breaks to be.  I typically use a sketched point
feature as it's easy to layout. I name the point feature something like
drawing_points so I remember later why they are there.

Then, when creating your broken view, make sure your points are visible
and attach the break lines to the points.  Later, if you need to change
where the break happens, just move the points.

I don't think you can change a broken view back to whole, however.

Doug Schaefer
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
wfalco
15-Moonstone

Well.....the last part was something I've always suspected and intended
to query:

"> I don't think you can change a broken view back to whole, however."

Is this in fact true?

Yes as far as I have tried with WF3 and below you can’t make a broken view into a whole view.

Sincerely,

Rick L.
Design Draftsman: Husky Corporation

I have just restored a broken view (of a component) back to a full view in WF4 M110. BTW, the drawing was CREATED in WF4 M110. (This may be the issue)

As a small rant, when is PTC going to show dims across the break as broken also (little squiggle in the middle of the leader)?

Christopher Gosnell

TRIGON INC.
FPD Company
124 Hidden Valley Road
McMurray, PA 15317
PH: 724.941.5540
FX: 724.941.8322
www.fpdinc.com
CBenner
5-Regular Member

To restore a broken view back to a full view, double click on the view to open the drawing view dialog box, select the Visible Area tab, and set to "Full View" and click the Apply button.

<u>

</u>
Chris Benner
Autodesk ® Expert Elite
wfalco
15-Moonstone

apparently new to 4.0

WayneN
3-Visitor

I like to create points also. It keeps the views from jumping way off the
sheet when you change the length; say from 10 feet to 40 feet.

Wayne Nivens
Designer

I too was able to simply restore the full view. Do not try to use the minus button just grab the pull down view visibility drop down and click on full view.

WF4 M100.

Ron
Top Tags