cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Changing a component parameter in an assembly program

IanEdwards
1-Newbie

Changing a component parameter in an assembly program

Hi guys, I have a simple component with a YES_NO paramemter. I have assembled this into my assembly model. The assembly model also has a YES_NO parameter because it exists in an installed and non installed condition. I want to somehow control the parameter of the component so that when the assembly is installed the component parameter = yes, and when it's not installed the component parameter = no. Any ideas? I'm pulling my hair out here. Thanks
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6

Ian Create a part and assembly with a yes/no parameter called "ASSEMBLED" (or whatever you want to call it, it does not matter) Assemble the part into the assembly and add the following relations into the assembly: '---------------- if ASSEMBLED==YES ASSEMBLED:0=YES else ASSEMBLED:0=NO endif '---------------- The indicates the ID of the part within the assembly. However, i don't quite understand the logic here. What if the part is assembled in both an assembled and disassembled assembly. Then the parameter within the part would change depending on what assembly you are regenerating? Hugo

Thanks Hugo, Don't worry about the logic, I can assure you there is a valid reason which I wont bore you with here. I'll try this first thing Monday morning - cheers.

Thanks again Hugo, To get this to work I had to find the ID number by editing one of the features in that componenent, then clicking info, switch dims. This gave me "d45:82" So I used "assembled:82" in my program and it worked!. Bit strange though, If I right-click on the component in the feature list and press info, then I have component number = 15, feature number = 31, internal feature ID = 125. I initially tried the program using "assembled:15" or "assembled:31" or "assembled:125" but this just returned an error in the program. Using "assembled:82" worked perfectly. but what exactly is this number?

Ian Here is how you select the component without having to know its ID 1. Within the assembly relations dialogue, place the marker where you want to insert the ID 2. Press the "Insert Parameter Name From List" button (The one with the two parentheses) 3. In the "Look In" Dropdown box, select part and then select your component in the assembly feature tree. 4. Select the yes/no parameter from the list and press "Insert Selected" Hugo

Thanks once more Hugo, you've been a big help.
RobertH
13-Aquamarine
(To:IanEdwards)

Or you can create a family table of the part with one instance with the parameter on YES and one instance with the parameter on NO. In this situation you have fysically both parts available. Then in the assembly you can replace the part with a lookup formula like the one below. INST_COMP_NAME=LOOKUP_INST ("COMONENT.PRT", 0, "ASSEMBLED", ASSEMBLED)
Top Tags