cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

GD&T symbol attach

B_Blak-disabled
1-Newbie

GD&T symbol attach

Is there a way to attach GD&T symbols to threaded or clearance hole callouts on a drawing or part?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
10 REPLIES 10

I think you could place it there manually, it wouldn't be attached, just placed in the vicinity. There would be no leaders pointing to the call-out, it would just be sitting by it.

In most cases that I know of you need a dimension, a surface or an edge to attach a G_TOL control frame.

There is something called an "entity" in the reference type when placing a control frame, pick the type of G_TOL that you want, the ref type changes depending on which control tolerance you pick, then see if you can attach it to a call-out using one of the references that it gives you, maybe entity will work, if its available. This is all in drawing mode. I don't know what an entity is, never used it.

Thanks Richard, Alas, entity allows no selection and as a free note I've had trouble with the gtol disappearing entirely, or moving inside the view area. I don't like to change the leader attachment as this will de-link the parametrics. So I've been using leader attach although two leaders pointing to the same feature on a drawing looks rather terrible. Seems I must wait for an "issue to be addressed in a future release" fix. Brian

Here are two options you have. First, show the diameter of the hole. 1. Create the hole note callout by adding the hole feature parameters to the dimension. This will look something like: @D-&THREADS_PER_INCH:FID_59[.0] &CLASS:FID_59 etc. (The number 59 is the Feature ID.) 2. Create the hole note as a separate note and remove &METRIC_SIZE from the note. Add the threads per inch parameter to the dimension and hit enter to leave a space. Note should look like: @D-&THREADS_PER_INCH:FID_59[.0] Set your draft grid to.125 and turn on snap to grid. This will allow you to position the thread note to the dimension. Group the note to the dimension so they move together.

"Kevin Demarco" wrote:

Here are two options you have. First, show the diameter of the hole. 1. Create the hole note callout by adding the hole feature parameters to the dimension. This will look something like: @D-&THREADS_PER_INCH:FID_59[.0] &CLASS:FID_59 etc. (The number 59 is the Feature ID.) 2. Create the hole note as a separate note and remove &METRIC_SIZE from the note. Add the threads per inch parameter to the dimension and hit enter to leave a space. Note should look like: @D-&THREADS_PER_INCH:FID_59[.0] Set your draft grid to.125 and turn on snap to grid. This will allow you to position the thread note to the dimension. Group the note to the dimension so they move together.

You can also place a note with the control frame, under symbols there is a check box to place a note Moven' on, very interesting though.

I've found a cleaner solution, albeit with a catch - of course. Use edit value on the hole callout and add the GTOL id. like this: &METRIC_SIZE &THREAD_SERIES-&THREAD_CLASS x&THREAD_DEPTH[.2] &G6 The catch is that you lose the edit value option on the call-out. The work-around here is to: 1. edit the GTOL in the part by selecting annotation. 2. use show dim to place the GTOL outside of the drawing border to have easy access to modify it. btb, I'm stymied on SWAG. Is it anything like TFB (that's fantastic boss)?

SWAG from the Encyclopedia Britannica !. definition - an acronym What engineers are known to do when faced with an unknown problem. STANDS FOR "some wild azz guessing". I wish I could say I made that up, but I didn't, heard it somewhere and made me laugh.

One of the few engineering jokes I think is funny, because I know it's true, how many times have we been there trying to debug a problem. Look at Edison, how many times did he try to get a light bulb to work. Most engineering jokes I do not like, I've heard my share, but this one is funny.
Top Tags