cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Measure volume of interference during motion?

DanMcCaherty
1-Newbie

Measure volume of interference during motion?

We have two parts assembled with a mechanism joint. A mechanism analysis is defined that forces one part over the other with a slight interference. I would like to create a measure that captures the volume of interference at each time step during the motion, and dump that into a spreadsheet, but the measures that are available to me within mechanism do not provide for the ability to do interference checks (as far as I can tell). We can do this for simple measurements (like tracking the distance between 2 points during the motion, etc) but no interference checking.

We can go back into standard mode and create an analysis feature that does provide us with the volume of interference, but only during one instant in time - not the entire motion range. We can run a motion study in standard mode, but there appears to be no way to track the global interference analysis feature during the motion.

This seems like its something that we should be able to do - we have all the pieces needed, but can't figure out how to put them together to make it work. Any ideas?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

The solution to this problem was to use the ANALYSIS feature icon, then picking the Pairs Clearance option. After calculating the interference, you need to pick the optiontocreate the featureparameter called INTERFERENCE_VOLUME. I initially tried to do this from the Analysis pull-down menu at the top of the screen. For some reason, the option to include that parameter only appears if you go through the ANALYSIS feature creation. At any rate, once you have selected that parameter & save the analysis feature, you can create a motion analysis, track the parameter and export the results out to an excel spreadsheet. Works great!

This solution was found with the help of Chris Rees from Goodrich. Thanks, Chris.

Top Tags