cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community email notifications are disrupted. While we are working to resolve, please check on your favorite boards regularly to keep up with your conversations and new topics.

More Assembly Family Table questions

nrollins
1-Newbie

More Assembly Family Table questions

Hello, good morning and Happy Friday...

I have an assembly (the same one as last time) with a Family Table (FT).

Some components (columns) in the table have an "N" shown in the generic row. This obviously means that in the generic, that component will not be shown. Typically (in all of the instances) I can click on the "N" and select either "Y", "N", or " * " (default). An asterisk in the Generic row would be redundant or "oxymoronic", right? But I would expect a drop-down with a "Y" and "N". I am not seeing this available. So, how do I turn on the component in the Generic?

Also, I noticed that features and / or components created after the creation of the FT get automatically placed into the FT... All the time(?) Is that good and normal behavior? It seems that such behavior could quickly generate a huge and hard-to-manage FT. What are the rules that Pro/E follows when adding features and components to an assy w/ FT?

Man, I haven't felt so green at Pro/E in years and years... always something more to learn.

Thanks a lot.

-Nate

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2
bfrandsen
6-Contributor
(To:nrollins)

Nate
you must suppress components in the generic using normal ProE operations.
Changes will then be reflected in the FT.

Features get added to the FT when you add things to an instance and
default suppressed in the generic.
Best practise is to add things to the generic and then decide the state
for each generic to keep the FT clean.

Regards,
Bjarne

"Nathan Rollins" <->
06-02-2009 15:05
Please respond to
"Nathan Rollins" <->

To
-
cc

Subject
[proecad] - More Assembly Family Table questions

Hello, good morning and Happy Friday...
I have an assembly (the same one as last time) with a Family Table (FT).
Some components (columns) in the table have an "N" shown in the generic
row.  This obviously means that in the generic, that component will not be
shown.  Typically (in all of the instances) I can click on the "N" and
select either "Y", "N", or " * " (default).  An asterisk in the Generic
row would be redundant or "oxymoronic", right?  But I would expect a
drop-down with a "Y" and "N".  I am not seeing this available.  So, how do
I turn on the component in the Generic?
Also, I noticed that features and / or components created after the
creation of the FT get automatically placed into the FT...  All the
time(?)  Is that good and normal behavior?  It seems that such behavior
could quickly generate a huge and hard-to-manage FT.  What are the rules
that Pro/E follows when adding features and components to an assy w/ FT?
Man, I haven't felt so green at Pro/E in years and years... always
something more to learn.
Thanks a lot.
-Nate
----------

Well,

Great news - you all came through once again - mostly. Thanks. Now I know that the FT is populated automatically when features / components are added in an instance. Better practice is to add any new features to the generic.

The big question now is, why are the components in question shown in the assy instance (as is defined by the FT) - NOT shown in the generic (as defined by the FT) - but they are NOT in the tree? Really, they are not in the tree. (should be shown suppressed, right?) I checked my tree config and everything is turned on. I cannot find any reference to those components in the generic assembly other than in the FT...

In my current Need-To-Get-The-Job-Done, I have deleted the column in the FT in hopes that the components would magically re-appear. Guess what happened. I'll give you a hint. Magic does not exist.

The components disappeared from the instance.

So, I chose to reassemble them in the generic and add them (again) to the FT.

Is this what mom meant when she said "Live and learn, kid."?

Thanks again for your selfless help.

-Nate

Top Tags