cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Need help with variable Feature(s) in Family Table driven part

JimAugeri
1-Newbie

Need help with variable Feature(s) in Family Table driven part

So, Pro/E gurus, I know there has to be a way around this, but I'm running into part regeneration failures (and ending up in Resolve Mode). Unfortunately I haven't yet found a suitable solution.

The part is simple; a slender piece of extruded stock with holes down its length. The FT variants are length of the piece and the resulting hole pattern. So far, pretty easy.The problem is the holes themselves. Currently there are only two different types of holes. These also vary from instance to instance. Some instances have a plain through hole with a chamfer on one side; other instances have a pattern of tapped (thru) holes. For any given size of part, the pattern dimensions (hole locations) are always the same; only the selection of hole styles varies. So how do I generate TWO different hole features in the same exact locations, and then put that information into a FT. (At the risk of over-describing the problem; Instance 1 is a 3 inch long part with 3 Through Holes; Instance 2 is a 3 inch long part with3 Tapped Holes. Hole LOCATIONS are identical.) The part SEEMS to be failing with the addition of the chamfer to the plain thru holes, if that helps at all.

My gut tells me this should be pretty easy, but I just don't seem to be finding a suitable solution. In your responses, consider that I am pretty new to Pro/E.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3
saw
11-Garnet
11-Garnet
(To:JimAugeri)

I was wrong with my thoughts (you can't modify the diameter through
relations or editing the value of the hole), don't go down that path. You
could add the chamfer on after your holes are in.

Stephen Worthington

_____

I don't use the hole feature a lot, so I'm assuming that you can't put
two holes on top of each other, right?

Here's what you do then:

1. Create a pattern of datum points at the locations that you want
the holes.
2. Create a second pattern (as a reference pattern) of your first
holes. The points should completely drive the hole locations.
3. Add the holes to the family table
4. Suppress the first holes.
5. Add the second pattern of holes, as a reference pattern
completely driven by the original datum points.
6. Add those holes to the family table.

Your generic will not be able to have all the features resumed, but you
can define your instances to have one or the other and they are all
driven by the datum points and therefore tied to the same locations.

Doug Schaefer
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

Could you model both hole patterns with dimension OFF the centerline, so
they essentially would be just "floating in space" and then put these
dimension in the Family Table, changing them to 0.0 (on the axis) as
required? Not perfect, but a work around...

Paul Korenkiewicz
FEV , Inc.
4554 Glenmeade
Auburn Hills, MI, 48326-1766

Top Tags