cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

New part showing unwanted parameter

GrahameWard
5-Regular Member

New part showing unwanted parameter

Some new parts I've made keep coming up with a parameter called "PTC_MATERIAL_NAME" set to "Brass", and have the box "restricted" checked. I did not create this parameter. When I delete it and save and erase the part, next time I open it the parameter is there again. When I sign my name with a pen, the pen does not write "Washington Irving", instead of my name. Why does ProE keep insisting on creating this parameter that I don't want? How do I get rid of it and make it stay gone?
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
10 REPLIES 10

PTC_MATERIAL_NAME is the parameter Pro/E uses to designate a material picked using "Edit/Setup/Material". You SHOULD have the ability to delete this or change it. This may be set by a relation or otherwise restricted by the start part. I've seen parameters lock by relation, etc, but haven't seen the restricted used. Of note, you can set up different appearances for different materials in your material library (brass, copper, block oxide steel, etc.) so if you have, say, a family table of fasteners in different materials and finishes you would use that parameter in the family table to swap them out. 2 caveats with that; first, you must have all the mateials you want to use preloaded in the generic, and WF3 and even WF4 doesn't quite work as advertized in this regard. I had trouble where ALL the fasteners from that table took the appearance of the last instance constrained until I did a second regen. WF3 didn't change the appearance at all.
GrahameWard
5-Regular Member
(To:DELETEME)

I removed them all from "Materials in Model" and the parameter doesn't show up any more since deletion. (Fingers crossed)

"Grahame Ward" wrote:

I removed them all from "Materials in Model" and the parameter doesn't show up any more since deletion. (Fingers crossed)

Dear Mr. Irving, Please try to realize that it is in serving the interests of 'the many' that we here at PTC strive to give commands, people, and just about everything else their deserving and proper names as we determine them. Shame about that pen of yours. I really like your stories.
GrahameWard
5-Regular Member
(To:WillyC)

"Grahame Ward" wrote:

GrahameWard
5-Regular Member
(To:GrahameWard)

"Willy Chidichimo" wrote:

Dear Mr. Irving, Please try to realize that it is in serving the interests of 'the many' that we here at PTC strive to give commands, people, and just about everything else their deserving and proper names as we determine them. Shame about that pen of yours. I really like your stories.

"Grahame Ward" wrote:

GrahameWard
5-Regular Member

"Grahame Ward" wrote:

I just don't like having stuff in there that I don't want. It's unnecessary clutter. We never use materials, and if for some reason we want to add one to one or two parts, it's an easy thing to do.[/quote] I can relate, I don't like clutter either. What do you guys do where you never need to add a material to your part? I'm guessing strictly IM plastics work?
GrahameWard
5-Regular Member

"C M" wrote:

I just don't like having stuff in there that I don't want. It's unnecessary clutter. We never use materials, and if for some reason we want to add one to one or two parts, it's an easy thing to do.

Top Tags