cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

RSD: Import Global Properties using .csv

ScottPearson
3-Visitor

RSD: Import Global Properties using .csv

THE SITUATION

First off, I create my .csv files in Excel (doing a SaveAs to the .csv format).

Second, I frequently have 100+ values in my Value List (which is used for Signal Names). This high number of values seems to cause a problem when importing the .csv into RSD's Global Properties. Actually, I believe the problem is the number of characters; not the number of Values. During import, I receive this error:

IMPORT READ ERROR
Import error:Error at line 3 in stdin:
No terminating quote in field 6

It seems to me that my very long list of Values is getting truncated during importation and thus the "terminating quote" (which is the "]" character, I believe) does not get read and thus appears to be missing -- though it is indeed in my .csv file.

When I shorten my list of Values (for example, to less than 50 Values), the import error does not occur. That's what leads me to believe the problem is due to the number of Values/characters in the .csv file.

Can anyone confirm this apparent limitation in .csv files when importing into RSD's Global Properties?

MY WORKAROUND (sort of...)

To work around this apparent limitatin, I create two different .csv files for importation. The first .csv file contains, for example, my first 50 Values. The second .csv file contains the second 50 Values. Then I import the two different .csv files and create two different Globabl Properties.

The only problem with that is that I do end up with two different Global Properties when I'd prefer just one.

A WISHFUL WORKAROUND

I wish that I could import the first .csv file to create a Global Property, then import the second .csv file to APPEND the Value List of the same Global Property.

In case you've ever tried this, it doesn't work. Instead of APPENDING the Value List, importing a second .csv with the same Property Name REPLACES the Value List of the Global Property with the new Values contained in the second .csv file. Bummer.

Does anyone know of a working method for APPENDING the Value List of an existing Global Property?

Mucho thanks.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
0 REPLIES 0
Top Tags