cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community email notifications are disrupted. While we are working to resolve, please check on your favorite boards regularly to keep up with your conversations and new topics.

how do I dimension a part

ptc-2639816
1-Newbie

how do I dimension a part

I just downloaded CoCreate and there is no option to dimension a part like ProE. where is the dimension toolbar or menu?
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5
Not applicable
(To:ptc-2639816)

The full product has complete 3D dimensioning functionality. While dimensions are of course very useful for documentation purposes, you don't really need dimensions to drive your design in CoCreate Modeling (unlike with history-based/parametric modelers such as Pro/E). Instead, you typically just grab a face or feature and move/modify/manipulate it directly. Claus
ptc-2243825
1-Newbie
(To:)

<br /><font size=""3"" face=""times new roman,times"">I downloaded CoCreate Modelling Personal Edition some time ago and have had a couple of little dabbles as I was interested in trying a direct modeller. I just decided to have another look; this time more seriously. <br /><br />I thought that I'd have a go at modelling, and drawing up, a model aircraft but I just wasted quite a bit of time trying to find where to dimension a sketch for my initial extrusion!! I found in the help that you just click 'dimensioning' in the toolbar....but I couldn't find it. Went to create toolbar but couldn't find dimension there. Started searching on the Internet and eventually got to here....and finally an explanation....ie you <em>can't</em> in the free package. <br /><br />As a 64yr old, retired Design Engineer, I realise that it's pointless spending time to learn a system where I'm sizing everything 'by eye' if I don't then progress to the full system to give the design some meaningfull scale. Claus isn't right..... real engineering requires real dimensions and real size......otherwise you're just dabbling with learning to model with a modelling system. I can't justify the price of the full system soÂ…. Catch 22! <br /><br />I <em>THOUGHT</em> that it seemed too good to be true! I should know better at my age.....if something seems too good to be true, then it probably is....as the old adage goes.Â:) Stupidly,ÂI had believed that the Personal Edition was just restricted in the number of parts in an assembly, not in something so basic as not being able to dimension!<br /><br />Ah well....I must keep looking I suppose! <br /><br />Surely some enlightened CAD companyÂcould offer Student type pricing for us retired folk! Cynically, I realise that there is much less point helping out an old guy compared with someone else who has his career ahead of him but would there be any harm done to their business or, indeed,Âsociety by doing this? Sometimes a little altruism wouldn't hurt, would it?<br /><br />best regards<br /><br />Frank<br /></font>
Not applicable
(To:ptc-2243825)

This has probably been said before, but CoCreate Modeling is not ProE, (or SolidWorks, Catia, UG or any other history based modeler) and you do not use ProE modeling techniques on it. You do not create a rough sketch, then use dimensioning tools to paramaterize the sketch. CoCreate is an explicit modeler. Create your 2D profile using the exact lengths, widths, radii, etc. that you expect your final part to be. All the functions that allow you to create 2D geometry allow you to enter in explicit numbers. If you are using 2D Copilot functions to sketch, keep in mind that the CoPilot will show you direction and length, but at any time, you can type in the exact length. In some cases, use construction geometry to set up reference locations for holes, features etc. (The line parallel is great for that) Then overdraw it with 2D geometry Do not bother to save your workplanes after you have used it to perform a machining function. CoCreate Modeling is not history based, so once they have served their purpose, you can delete them. You can even configure your machining options to delete either the workplane, or the geometry when you perform a machining option. If you get something wrong, or change your mind about the dimensions of the part you are working on, it is actually easier to modify the 3D model, than it is to change the 2D profile. Yes, there is an option to allow you to add dimensions to the 3D model (not the 2D geometry you create on workplanes) Yes, you can actually use these 3D dimensions to modify the model, but that is not usually what they are used for. Most users add 3D dimensions to the model so other users can understand a particular part of the design intent.
ptc-2243825
1-Newbie
(To:)

<p><font size=""3"" face=""times new roman,times"">Thank you Mike,<br /><br />It was <em>very</em> kind of you to take the time to answer and provide me with some helpful detail procedures.I already understand most of what you said at the concept level as I've been researching Direct/exlicit modelling for some time and am (perhaps was?) a keen protagonist! I got so frustrated that I removed it off my system and am now trying SpaceClaim and am struggling with that too. Idon't even seem to be able to get theSpin, pan and Zoom to work by any of the suggested methods!!....just can't understand it....it makes you feel stupid, as well as frustrated! :laugh: </font></p><p><font size=""3"" face=""times new roman,times"">What <em>has</em> shocked me is that, although I've dabbled with all sort of CAD software for years, I'm struggling with these <em>newly</em> programmed packages. I have to be honest and admit that I thought that, with the passage of twenty years CAD development and with all the hype aimed at Direct/Explicit modelling (which is touted as being ideal for the 'casual' user...that's me that is!) I have been pulled up abruptly by this experience! I expected to be able to just walk into it rather than have to battle with it!..... it has reminded me of the early faltering days with ProE (and also some of the latter days too! ). Not having ever been on CAD full time, over the years, I was hoping that these new, hyped packages would have been the answer to the maiden's prayer! My experience doesn't reflect the hype I'm afraid......so far..... </font></p><p><font size=""3"" face=""Times New Roman"">The truth is in the case of a raw starter it just aint that easy.....or am I just plain stupid?? ....no don't answer!! :)</font></p><p><font size=""3"" face=""times new roman,times"">I can't check, as it's not on my system now, but as far as I can remember (and that's what I said in my previous post) I couldn't find any way to 'dimension' or specifically adjust lengths...that's why I rummaged through the help and the Internet. Are you sure that you're not using the full package??</font></p><p><font size=""3"" face=""times new roman,times"">Anyway, thanks again for making the effort to assist and perhaps I'll give it another try. Here's a thought for you though, if no one needs dimensioning then why does the full version have it?</font> :cool: </p><p><font size=""3"" face=""times new roman,times"">Kind regards</font></p><p><font size=""3"" face=""times new roman,times"">Frank</font></p>
Not applicable
(To:ptc-2243825)

anonymous wrote:

Here's a thought for you though, if no one needs dimensioning then why does the full version have it?

Top Tags