cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

5.3 to 5.4, graphics missing

cleccese
6-Contributor

5.3 to 5.4, graphics missing

I copied a doctype folder from our 5.3 server to our 5.4 server.The FOSI seems to be working on 5.4 except the graphics aren't visible in the editor. The graphics are hosted on a third server, and the paths are stored in an entity file and referenced by an attribute on graphic. The .ent files are referenced in the XML file.

If I link directly to the graphic, it shows up so I know the 5.4 server can "see" the server where the graphics are stored. (The XML files are on the same server as the graphics.) Plus we handle graphics this way for most of our 5.4 projects. Just wondering if anyone has come across this, I didn't find anything in the forum.

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
cleccese
6-Contributor
(To:cleccese)

There was an error with my 5.4 .dcf file. PTC Tech Support figured it out. Thank you, Brent Kelly!

Would you care to post the error and solution for the edification of the rest of the people on the adepter's mailing list? I'm still on version 5.3, so it may be applicable if I ever have to go to 5.4.

Thanks,
-Andy

Andy Esslinger LM Aero - Tech Order Data
(817) 279-0442 1 Lockheed Blvd, MZ 4285
(817) 777 3047 Fort Worth, TX 76108-3916
[Title: Integrated Fighter Group]
cleccese
6-Contributor

Sure, Andy. This is the email I received from Tech Support:

<specials>
<graphic element="graphic" entity="boardno" <=" span=">
reproDepth="reprodep" reproWidth="reprowid" scaleToFit="scalefit" vertScale="vscale"/>
<graphic element="authent" entity="boardno" filename="boardno" reprodepth="reprodep"&lt;br"/> reproWidth="reprowid"/>
<graphic element="back" entity="boardno" filename="boardno" reprodepth="reprodep"&lt;br"/> reproWidth="reprowid"/>
<graphic element="inlinegraphic" entity="boardno" filename="boardno" horizscale="hscale"&lt;br"/> reproDepth="reprodep" reproWidth="reprowid" scaleToFit="scalefit"/>
<graphic element="symbol" entity="symbolcall" filename="boardno" horizscale="hscale" vertscale="vscale"/">
<graphic element="icon-set" entity="boardno" filename="boardno" reprodepth="reprodep"&lt;br"/> reproWidth="reprowid"/>
<graphic element="da2028" entity="boardno" filename="boardno" reprodepth="reprodep"&lt;br"/> reproWidth="reprowid"/></specials>

You need to take out the "boardno" that's in there for filename. Here is what the corrected .dcf looks like:

<specials>
<graphic element="graphic" entity="boardno" horizscale="hscale"&lt;br"/> reproDepth="reprodep" reproWidth="reprowid" scaleToFit="scalefit"
vertScale="vscale"/>
<graphic element="authent" entity="boardno" reprodepth="reprodep"&lt;br"/> reproWidth="reprowid"/>
<graphic element="back" entity="boardno" reprodepth="reprodep"&lt;br"/> reproWidth="reprowid"/>
<graphic element="inlinegraphic" entity="boardno" horizscale="hscale"&lt;br"/> reproDepth="reprodep" reproWidth="reprowid" scaleToFit="scalefit"/>
<graphic element="symbol" entity="symbolcall" filename="boardno"&lt;br"/> horizScale="hscale" vertScale="vscale"/>
<graphic element="icon-set" entity="boardno" reprodepth="reprodep"&lt;br"/> reproWidth="reprowid"/>
<graphic element="da2028" entity="boardno" reprodepth="reprodep"&lt;br"/> reproWidth="reprowid"/></specials>

Thanks Caroline,

That makes sense now. I have two kinds of DTDs at this site; one is a MIL-STD-38784 type that uses graphic file entities and the other type points directly to the graphic filename. The first uses entity="boardno" and the second uses filename="external-ptr".

Thanks,
-Andy

Andy Esslinger LM Aero - Tech Order Data
(817) 279-0442 1 Lockheed Blvd, MZ 4285
(817) 777 3047 Fort Worth, TX 76108-3916
[Title: Integrated Fighter Group]
cleccese
6-Contributor

While the graphics are visible in the editor and print preview, they are missing when composing a PDF. Has anyone had this happen?

Is the document from which the PDF is created of the same doctype as the one you view in editor and print preview? Is the ownership of the file transferred to a different user (maybe a virtual user?) for PDF creation? In this case, perhaps that user does not have an account in or access to the directory/directories in which the graphic files or entities live.
cleccese
6-Contributor

Hi Ed,

Yes, it's the same document, but it turns out I'm the only one who can't see the graphics, production can. So it sounds like it could be a permissions problem...I'm working from a virtual desktop and they are not.

Top Tags