cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Added line breaks

LynnHales
1-Newbie

Added line breaks

I am about to scream at this. I have a series of text entities declared
through an external file. This has worked for a LONG time with no problems,
now suddenly, when some of the ENTITIES display on screen and in the final
output, there are added line feeds.

I have gone through the entity file and there are no extra line feeds I am
including the ENTITY declaration for one of the problems along with a screen
capture showing what Epic is doing.

Here is the ENTITY declaration:

<dtd.frag> assocfig IDREFS #IMPLIED
changeref IDREFS #IMPLIED
chap-toc (yes | no ) "yes"
chngno CDATA #REQUIRED
comment CDATA #IMPLIED
delchlvl CDATA #IMPLIED
frame (yes | no ) "yes"
idref IDREFS #IMPLIED
inschlvl CDATA #IMPLIED
revno CDATA #REQUIRED
security (uc | fouo | c | s | ts ) #IMPLIED
skilltrk CDATA #IMPLIED
tocentry (0 | 1 | 2) "1"</dtd.frag>'>

Here the text as I copy it from Epic:

<dtd.frag> assocfig IDREFS #IMPLIED

changeref IDREFS #IMPLIED

chap-toc (yes | no ) "yes"

chngno CDATA #REQUIRED

comment CDATA #IMPLIED

delchlvl CDATA #IMPLIED

frame (yes | no ) "yes"

idref IDREFS #IMPLIED

inschlvl CDATA #IMPLIED

revno CDATA #REQUIRED

security (uc | fouo | c | s | ts ) #IMPLIED

skilltrk CDATA #IMPLIED

tocentry (0 | 1 | 2) "1"</dtd.frag>



Does anyone have any idea where the extra line feeds are being thrown in
from? This is bugging me PLUS it is messing up formatting as for some
ATTLISTs, I have additional attributes that I enter manually with a single
line feed. This now gives me a list with mixed formatting (as is shown in
the graphic).

Many thanks.

Lynn
2 REPLIES 2

Just a follow up for those interested.



I started a case with PTC support on this issue. They were able to duplicate
the problem. A bit more 'troubleshooting' (after I found some older files on
a thumb drive) seems to have narrowed the problem down to this.



I switched from using a DTD to a schema. One of the problems is schema does
not like calling ENTITIES from an external file. So I have had to resort to
declaring them in the XML instance. Therein lies the problem. IF one puts
an ENTITY declaration similar to this


&entit_name;



In the document instance subset, I suddenly get unwanted extra lines. Not in
all cases, just in a couple of elements where the content is #PCDATA and

You might have to turn your external entities into mini schemas and use <xs:include> or <xsd:include> in your schema for the external entities. I think that should work, as long as all files use the same namespace(s).
Announcements