cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Composing in Batch Mode

MarkMitchell
3-Visitor

Composing in Batch Mode

Hi All,

I guess this quesiton is pretty basic but it is keeping me busy. I want to compose a pdf from the system command line in batch mode.

I can call Arbortex Editor from a batch file, loading the correct document and stylesheet. Then all I want is to compose to pdf (with document's name, using stylesheet I have loaded).

In the manual they talk of using -c "print" startup command option. I could do this and direct it to a pdf printer but that seems to be a bit of a workaround.

I have also seen compose::compose_pdf_macro(), this is not really ideal as there are a lot of files that we need to update, I would rather that it happen wihtout user input. Also, where do I find documentaition on these commands?

Thasnk for your help,

Mark

1 REPLY 1

A while ago, on the Adepters mailing list (where lots of savvy Arbortext XML users, adminstrators, and developers hang out and help each other with problems like this), someone asked:

Adepters,
Is there a way to "Compose to Web" an XML file, stylesheet (.style), output directory, ect with E3 using a batch. Is there a place where I can find all the commands when running a batch script to "Compose to Web"? Thanks.

Someone said:

Here is a line of our batch :

start /B /wait "" "C:\Program Files\EPIC5\bin\epic.exe" -C2 "gsub('\\','/','C:\path_of_output_pdf',$p);_pubpdf::publish_pdf_file(current_doc(),$p.'/'.basename(doc_path($doc_id),'.sgm').'.pdf'); exit" "C:\path_of_input_sgml\sample_file.sgm"

I said:

I'd look at Editor help on startup command syntax and the PE programming guide, pe_prog_guide.pdf (from a 5.3 installation, name may vary with other versions). You may need to figure out all the environment things you'd need to set, put them into an ACL, and call that ACL via the startup command syntax.

More info on Arbortext resources, including details on how to find / subscribe to Adepters here:

http://www.squidoo.com/arbortext

Good luck!

Top Tags