cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Debugging ACL scripts

mastachef
12-Amethyst

Debugging ACL scripts

I know that one can use the message command at every line but I would like to step through code (especially if looking through code someone else has written.

Has anyone discovered an efficient and productive way to debug ACL scripts? Are there plans for a PTC IDE to be able to help with debugging?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

At one time, it was possible to link Arbortext to the debugger in Eclipse, letting you do the sort of thing you are asking about. However, the developer who showed it to me hasn't been with PTC for a few years, so I don't know if it still works with the current versions of Editor. I don't remember if that info ever made it onto this list, but it's possible it did--you might have some luck if you search the message board for "eclipse".

Personally, I tend to rely on a combination of response() and the eval command to generate debugging messages, and that gets me pretty far. The eval command is nice because it doesn't block execution the way response() does, it writes messages to a message window.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

At one time, it was possible to link Arbortext to the debugger in Eclipse, letting you do the sort of thing you are asking about. However, the developer who showed it to me hasn't been with PTC for a few years, so I don't know if it still works with the current versions of Editor. I don't remember if that info ever made it onto this list, but it's possible it did--you might have some luck if you search the message board for "eclipse".

Personally, I tend to rely on a combination of response() and the eval command to generate debugging messages, and that gets me pretty far. The eval command is nice because it doesn't block execution the way response() does, it writes messages to a message window.

Thank you.

I have been using a debug in a way that is global and the only thing I do is pass in the variable I wish to debug and it does an eval.

Top Tags