did you everfind (and remember 😉 a solution for the problem/case you reported below?
If yes, could you please share it with us?
We are currently preparing a migration to Documentum 6.5, using Epic 5.4 M040 and the WDK adapter and have a few machines where we receive the same kind of error message "invokeMethod() failed while calling ..." when we try to login, whether we access the webtop via MSIE or use the Epic Documentum > Connect menu.
Note 1: I tried to access the case you are referring to, but it is not accessible to other customers; and a search on the Arbortext KBwas not successful.
Note 2: we have other machines that successfully connect to the same repository, using the same version of Epic, with the same user credentials! I double-checked the machine settings (Java version, DFC version, MSIE options) and did not find any difference between the machines where it works and the machines where it does not work ...
In Reply to Paul Nagai:
Call 7450816 now open.
Interestingly the following webtop URL works using Internet Explorer:
fails with the same error as the WDK window launched by the Documentum menu
selection within Editor.
thanks for the suggestion and the tip re. WDK logs. Will be helpful the next time I need to contact support 😉
In the meantime, I tried all the recipes I could find on the web and, finally, thefollowing worked for me:
1. In $USER_PROFILE\Documentum\ucf, delete (or rename) the files ucf.installs.config.xml and ucf.launcher.config.xml
2. Open MS IE ; menu Tools > Internet Options and delete all “Browsing history” (temp files, cookies etc.); close MS IE
3. Start > Settings > Control Panel > Java > Temporary Files : View, then delete all items that start with “ucf”
4. Shutdown and restart [a simple logoff would probably be enough but I am getting paranoiac]
And, hurray, after that black magic, no more "invokeMethod() failed while calling ..." message when connecting to my repository!
Everything seems to be fine now both using the regular webtop in MS IE and the Documentum/WDK adapter in Epic (fingers crossed!)
In Reply to Paul Nagai:
Sadly (for you), this problem resolved without intervention or any real
discovery. Support provided us with some WDK logging commands. We provided
support with some logs but I think only from after the problem mysteriously
Issue from the Editor command line. I do not remember whether I was able to
make any sense of them or not.
At about the same time, we also found that Editor 5.3 m110 with the WDK
Adapter FAILED for users with an Editor 5.2 (I forget the mxxx) installed.
This problem resolved on successful uninstall of Editor 5.2.
We are currently working a problem with one user. She starts Editor. Fires
up the WDK (Documentum > Connect). Is presented with the login screen. Logs
in to an Editor crash ... no warnings or messages on the way out. If I take
control of her computer and I perform the same steps, I am able to log in
and manipulate files and folders as expected. She has no problems using
Webtop from the same machine.
I am blaming the Documentum guy, permissions, server-side hinkiness, etc..
He is blaming Arbortext, the author, me. It's lots of fun at the
multi-vendor, multi-developer corral 😉