cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Headers and footers

clake
1-Newbie

Headers and footers

Is the a DTD out there for a Operational Supplement? We have an unusual requirement for a full COTS document to be imported into Arbortext as a supplement to a TO.

I have minipulated the MIL-STD-38784 DTD to accommodate almost everything but I'm having an issue with getting the Header and Footers to accommodate me with "OPERATIONAL SUPPLEMENT". Can anyone give me some pointers?

Thank you,

Cindy Lake

1 REPLY 1

Hi Cindy,

It is hghly unusual to do what you suggest. Operational supplements are generally designed to add routine, non-priority information to TMs until a formal revision can be accomplished. Normally any COTs documents adopted by DoD for use have to undergo a suitability evaluation IAW MIL-PRF-32216. Additionally, most companies have restrictions on reuse of their documents, i.e. copyright, data rights, changing or altering the document, etc. "Lifting" the text directly into your SGML/XML document could be construed as copyright infrigement, although it can be a gray area as you can't copyright a task or procedure. The biggest issue would be using any proprietary graphics, information, verbatim, etc. Is the document freely available to the public off of a support website? If so, you have more flexibility in using it. Two suggestions: (1) Make it a separate TM using the MIL-PRF-32216 procedures and reference out to it, or (2) Create an appendix in your SGML/XML and add the native COTs PDF file to the appendix the composed PDF after the fact, using the tools in Acrobat professional. Hope this helps.

Additionally, check the legacy 38784 DTD on the TMSS website. Appendix C is for a supplemental manual and appendix D is for a manual supplement.

Top Tags