cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Increase Reference Image Quality

acs_alan
1-Newbie

Increase Reference Image Quality

Hello,

I am copying a scanned in image (TIFF). This image is:

Bit Depth = 24

Hor Res = 100

Vert Res = 100

Width = 1653

Height = 1169

It is not sharp enough to get good detail anyone know of a way in isodraw to access any settings?

Thank you

Alan

8 REPLIES 8

According to the help documentation with 7.1, there are no import settings for Tiff files.

On the otherhand, here are two simple approaches to possibly help import.

1) I tried a sample. This may seem obvious, but try to shrink the image once you import it. If you are using it to trace this may help/hurt. It should help as the quality should be better. Hurt in respect that the smaller you go the harder it can be to work with.

2) This option is completely dependant on where the image is coming from. If you can control output, I'd recommend trying different settings for the original output.

If you go with option two, I'd recommend posting what software you are using if you want help (as well as a file to work with).

Either way, please post back what you found worked the best. If you go with option two, please post what settings you used so that if someone runs into this in the future, they can take advantage of your work.

Hi,

Thanks Trevor. I tried Option 2 - I really dont fancy option 1. With option the scanned document is now in a PDF format and when zooming inside the PDF its nice and clean really up close. I opened the page in GIMP (Would have prefered Photoshop - but I do not have access at the moment) GIMP should be fine. I import into GIMP from PDF at 200DPI and save it as a uncompressed TIFF.

The problem still persist, I am viewing the TIFF in Windows Picture and Fax Viewer and it looks nice and clean when zoomed up close. The problem is definately inside Isodraw, maybe it compresses the imageif it over a certain file size, or pixel dimensions or DPI to reduce the impact on program performance?

Will re-check manual to see if I missed anything.

Thanks

Alan

Ok, it has worked bringing in a higher quality image, I recommened (200-300DPI). The problem I am having is the PLACE feature. When I rename new file to the name of the current placed file it wont swap it, I am having to re-place the higher quality file and position it into the exact same position as the previous tiff. When creating images to trace, I recommend no less than 200DPI. although at 200DPI with no compression the file size has jumped to 50MB from 5.6MB (100DPI). This may be an issue for low spec systems, am currently using what I consider a vary low spec system:

Inetl Pentium Dual CPU E2180 @ 2Ghz

2GB Ram

I notice the difference when using the higher quality image, the computer reacts much slower. If you have 4GB of RAM + give the 300DPI a try.

Alan

It's been a while, so think of this as a suggested path.

When you use the Place feature, it is meant to maintain the link. When you replace the external Tiff, it should update BUT not unless you tell it to. Go into IsoDraw and right-click the placed image. I believe under Element Info... you can choose to update the image.

Is the image in the PDF raster or vector?

You might want to try exporting from GIMP as a CGM version 1 instead.

I have tried to force the update and it doesnt want to do it. At times it can do it but seems to rarely update when instructed too. The PDF is a raster graphic(scanned image), With the option for 200DPI it is clear enough to zoom right in, at the current setting of 100DPI the details in the imaage are difficult to understand.

Thanks

To enhance the image being used to trace ensure a high DPI is maintained. This should be done from each step from the source, for example from a scanner into a PDF then from a PDF to an image. (Minimum of 200DPI is recommended).

Thanks for posting what worked best. Hopefully it will help the next soul that tries it.

Top Tags