cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Is it possible to run two separate session of IsoDraw?

byork
17-Peridot

Is it possible to run two separate session of IsoDraw?

Is it possible to run two separate session of IsoDraw? I would like to be able to start 7.0 and 7.1 at the same time on my machine.
8 REPLIES 8

Hello Brian, running multiple instances of IsoDraw on the same machine is not possible. Is there a reason that requires to use both, IsoDraw 7.1. and IsoDraw 7.0, at the same time? regards, Christian

Mainly for testing.

Brian, I know that customers like to test a new version before they get productive with it. But my experience is that they do use either one or the other version. Parallel installion is possible so that scenario can be done. Running both versions at once is as I mentioned not possible. regards, Christian

I wounder why this not should be possible, but I must admit that I have not tested multi version. Here is what I do today and how I would think it could work with 2 versions. I do install IsoDraw on a fileserver on a share that is map to drive p:\. Isodraw is then installed in folder p:\software\isodraw70. I use a .bat script to start IsoDraw. It look like this: @echo off :: script to start IsoDraw PTC_D_LICENSE_FILE=7788@licserver p:\software\isoDraw70\Program\isodraw7.exe This way I do not have to install IsoDraw on all pc using IsoDraw. All user just start IsoDraw by starting this script. No local installation is needed. I also have the posibility to let the use selev what licensae to use since we use floating of both Foundation and cadprocessor. We have about 10 users but only 2 foundation and 1 cadprocessor license. My idea that not have been tested is to install isodraw 7.1 in another folder on the same server like: P:\softwate\isodraw71. And the have 2 different .bat script to start the correct version.

Hi, I like to add some details to avoid confusion. IsoDraw can be used with two license types: - NODE LOCKED - FLOATING In Brians case, I expected that he refers to NODE LOCKED licenses. NODE LOCKED licenses cannot be started in multible instances. The case that Johannes referred to is a FLOATING LICENSE. FLOATING LICENSES in general can run as much parallel sessions as licenses are available.

anonymous wrote:

We have about 10 users but only 2 foundation and 1 cadprocessor license.

I do not know in detail how node lock licenses is working. I think it is a poor solution if you have more that one user. I in fact this PTC should change all licenses from node lock to floation just as they have with ProEngineer. Node lock is old fashion. Anyway. If the software only look if the licensefile is the correct, then I do not see why it not should be possible to do. I assume that a new license file is needed for 7.1, but this will also be compatible with 7.0. Is there a kind of lock in IsoDraw that will refuse to start a secone session of IsoDraw when using node lock licenses? What if the user save the licenses files in 2 different locations (old and new license)? Perhaps this is not allow but I do not see why PTC should be against testing software as long af it is done by same user on same PC.

Johannes, the user can decide if he purchases Node Locked or Floating licenses. As I posted previously the test of both versions is possible, but not at the same time. regards, Christian

I am using a node locked licensee. I would vote for the floating in I didn't have to pay for it. Thanks Christian for you help. Brian
Top Tags