cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Publishing Engine Overview: Corrections

ptc-1908075
1-Newbie

Publishing Engine Overview: Corrections

Continuing to look into Styler and APP, I noticed some inaccuracies in the documentation about what FOSI/TeX supports, as detailed below. My comments are in color.
1. FOSI does support the following:

- Right to left formatting. I have worked on FOSI stylesheets for Arabic output and CJK output.

- Hanging punctuation.FOSI cansupport opening hangng punctuation, such as opening quotation marks, for the first line of an element using a simple ACL function (seeFOSI -- the right tool for the jobfor examples).According to the Styler Users Guide, APP Styler's default hanging punctuation support is for hanging commas and periods at the end of a line of justified text, something that is not used in technical documentation or service information. According to the APP for Styler Users manual: "A more extensive set of hanging punctuation can be accessed through a small source edit." However, I cannot find any more information about it.

- Borders for page regions.The Region category can be used for this.

- Gutter rules between columns.The Region category can be used for this.

- Automatic shrinking of graphics to avoid oversets. The Putgraph category can be used for this.

- Stylesheet extensiions.FOSI capabilities can be extended by calling an ACL funcction, which can call Javascript and other scripting languages. One example: hanging quotes. Another example: Downsizing formatting specs to fit a warning in a single column.
2. While the following formatting is suitable for layout-based documents such as magazines and brochures, it is generally not seen in technical documentation and service information, not even in owner's manuals.

- Rotation of main content flow permitted to any angle
- Pages containing main content flow permitted to have different widths
- Columns on a page permitted to vary in width
- Left blank pages permitted to vary from right blank pages (beyond what is handled with FOSI Rectobb and Versobf categories.)
NOTE: Not all APP capabilities are available with Styler or with Styler and APP source edits. Some APP capabilities are availableonlywith an "associated APP template" or a "native APP template." See AccessingAPPFeaturesin Help information for details.
Please let me know any questions.

Suzanne Napoleonwww.FOSIexpert.com"WYSIWYG is last-century technology!"

0 REPLIES 0
Top Tags