cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Setting up and configuration of Arbortext Editor

ptc-2043482
1-Newbie

Setting up and configuration of Arbortext Editor

Hi All I started using Arbortext Editor (5.3) for last few months but the stylesheets, DTD, schemas, configuration files - all were pre-defined for my projects. Now I want to start afresh - let us say that we have a new license of Arbortext, and I want to develop documentation for a new product. Can anyone suggest me on how do I start afresh, as a beginner? How/where I can define XML schema, stylesheet, DTDs, Template, Config Files, and so on. Just a few clues would help me get going. Thank you for your time.
12 REPLIES 12

Arbortext Architect is used for the stuff you need.

Thank you for the reply. However, is there some way where it cvan be done without using Arbortext Editor? I am asking so because I think our organization does not have Arbortext Architect. I will appreciate your response. BR Vinish

Sorry, I meant without using Arbortext Architect - and not Editor as I mentioned by mistake

You can develop DTDs/Schemas in any tool and then put them in the custom doctypes folder and use (search for "APTCUSTOM" in the Editor help). I'd suggest double-checking if your organization has no Architect license. It would really help - add a lot of functionality and will make things easier and faster. Having a Styler license will help greatly too, but if you have no licenses, you still can make .xsl stylesheets in any editor and then use "File -> Compose -> Using XSL" in Editor.

My company just purchased Arbortext and no one seems to know if Architect is included. We are trying to import/setup a DTD that we are required to start using. Is there any other way to import it or re-create it as a new DTD without Architect? Glenn

"Glenn Mizner" wrote:

My company just purchased Arbortext and no one seems to know if Architect is included. We are trying to import/setup a DTD that we are required to start using. Is there any other way to import it or re-create it as a new DTD without Architect? Glenn

I'll check that out, Thanks!

Yes, we have licensed Styler. Is it that all DTD schemas, templates and similar settings for documentation environment are defined in Styler? Regards Vinish

Vinish, have a look at the Arbortext Architect and Arbortext Styler pages @ptc.com - there is a nice overview of the products. Here is some more info about Architect: Use Arbortext Architect to customize the Arbortext Editor authoring environment in the following ways: *Create a customized document type for authoring documents. *Create a new document-type definition (DTD). *Edit or revise an existing DTD. *Customize your document type by editing the document type configuration file (.dcf) to add features such as Smart Insert and automatic tag insertion. *Customize composition for your document type by editing a composition configuration file (.ccf). *Create a FOSI to format documents for on-screen or printed output using previewing and formatting capabilities. *Edit or revise an existing FOSI. *Test a document’s PDF output using direct to PDF. Consult the Customizers’ Guide for information on direct PDF. In addition, you can use Arbortext Architect and the Arbortext Command Language to further develop a customized document type and: *Integrate a graphics processor for use inside Arbortext Editor. *Customize the menus with special operations or remove unused menu options. *Automatically insert tag groupings to save time when authoring *Provide customized, online tag help. *Link other software packages with Arbortext Editor using the Application Program Interface. Here is some more info about Styler: Arbortext Styler helps you create simple to complex stylesheets for publishing to multiple outputs. Stylesheets created by Arbortext Styler are called StylerSheets. There are two versions of Arbortext Styler. The free version of Arbortext Styler is available with Arbortext Editor and enables you to develop StylerSheets to control display in Arbortext Editor. You cannot use the free version of Arbortext Styler to develop StylerSheets for any kind of output. The full version of Arbortext Styler is a separate product and enables you to develop StylerSheets for all supported output formats.

Vinish, have a look at the Arbortext Architect and Arbortext Styler pages @ptc.com - there is a nice overview of the products. Here is some more info about Architect: Use Arbortext Architect to customize the Arbortext Editor authoring environment in the following ways: *Create a customized document type for authoring documents. *Create a new document-type definition (DTD). *Edit or revise an existing DTD. *Customize your document type by editing the document type configuration file (.dcf) to add features such as Smart Insert and automatic tag insertion. *Customize composition for your document type by editing a composition configuration file (.ccf). *Create a FOSI to format documents for on-screen or printed output using previewing and formatting capabilities. *Edit or revise an existing FOSI. *Test a document’s PDF output using direct to PDF. Consult the Customizers’ Guide for information on direct PDF. In addition, you can use Arbortext Architect and the Arbortext Command Language to further develop a customized document type and: *Integrate a graphics processor for use inside Arbortext Editor. *Customize the menus with special operations or remove unused menu options. *Automatically insert tag groupings to save time when authoring *Provide customized, online tag help. *Link other software packages with Arbortext Editor using the Application Program Interface. Here is some more info about Styler: Arbortext Styler helps you create simple to complex stylesheets for publishing to multiple outputs. Stylesheets created by Arbortext Styler are called StylerSheets. There are two versions of Arbortext Styler. The free version of Arbortext Styler is available with Arbortext Editor and enables you to develop StylerSheets to control display in Arbortext Editor. You cannot use the free version of Arbortext Styler to develop StylerSheets for any kind of output. The full version of Arbortext Styler is a separate product and enables you to develop StylerSheets for all supported output formats.

Hey, thank you so much for all the details. I would see if I can get going Regards Vinish
lfraley
6-Contributor
(To:ptc-2043482)

Vinish,

You might find that a quick call to the Advisory Line ( http://www.single-sourcing.com/advisor ) will get your DTD compiled for Arbortext deployment without having to purchase Architect. As long as your DTD is already written, it should make for a short call.

Liz

Top Tags