cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Sorting attribute values in Modify Attributes dialog

JeffStevenson
2-Guest

Sorting attribute values in Modify Attributes dialog

Hey folks,

I have a question about sorting attribute values.

In the Modify Attributes dialog, the values in dropdowns are sorted alphabtically by default. Is there a setting to turn the sorting to manual?

Many thanks,

-Jeff

4 REPLIES 4

Jeff,

As I recall, there is no way to sort them. I asked this several years ago. I set my DTDs up so ‘required’ values were first, only to have them show up in the list.

If nothing else, it would be nice if we could have the attribute list organized by ‘required’ then optional. Might confuse the authors for a while, but to me I think better than searching for that missing required entry.

Lynn

Thanks Lynn and the others who emailed.

I guess there's no magic bullet on this one.

So, does set modifyattrssort=off no longer work? It used to toggle between alpha sort and order of declaration.

According to the documentation modifyattrssort is only for sorting the order of attributes in the dialog for SGML.

For XML document types attributes are generally listed in alphabetical order. If the attributes are categorized, you can use the sort attribute for ModifyAttributeCategory in the DCF file to sort them. For SGML documents, attributes names are listed in the order they are defined in the document type by default. To list the attributes alphabetically, set the Advanced Preference modifyattrsorted value to on.

In Reply to Jason Buss:

So, does set modifyattrssort=off no longer work? It used to toggle between alpha sort and order of declaration.
Top Tags