cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Trying to work out minimum radius of an ellipse

TimSharp
6-Contributor

Trying to work out minimum radius of an ellipse

I'm trying to work out the properties of an ellipse so that I know it's x and y extents.

Using the Complex Data Types, "ellipse radius" seems to give the maximum radius from the centre, but I don't know how to get the minimum radius.

When you select an ellipse, the status bar on screen shows the values for it - with the maximum radius first (though the icon shows a diameter), then what appears (from its icon) to be the minimum diameter (it equates to the Complex Data Types "ellipse value"). However, when I draw a line across the narrow width of the ellipse, it's length doesn't match this value.

What is this "ellipse value" and does it have a relationship to the minimum radius/dimeter? If not, how can the minimum radius or diameter be worked out?

2 REPLIES 2

Hi Tim,

Minimum diameter (it equates to the Complex Data Types "ellipse value") is nothing but the angle which you set for the ellipse in the tool bar and it is not the minimum Dia.

If you change that value to 90 then yor ellipse will become a circle.

I am looking to calculate the minimum dia using the maximum dia and the angle of twist based on the axis of maximum dia.

Thanks,

Vaduga

TimSharp
6-Contributor
(To:Vaduga1)

Thanks.

I can see now that it's to do with the grid settings and what plane you draw the ellipse in.

The trick now is to know how that value can be used in working out the smaller radius.

I wonder why the help file doesn't explain what this is - it just says it's the "ellipse value".

Announcements

Top Tags