cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Why does Selecting elements not stick in Arbortext editor 6.0 (occasionally)?

jstern
1-Newbie

Why does Selecting elements not stick in Arbortext editor 6.0 (occasionally)?

Has anyone else experienced an intermittent problem where select does not stick.

For example, I select a word and then press ENTER to markup the selected text. By the time I select the markup to wrap the selected text, the text is no longer selected. There are no error messages in the bottom of the Arbortext Editor screen.

This also happens when I want to select text to delete. Before I can hit the delete key, the text has become unselected. I have even tried right-clicking and using the Select Element Content or Select Element options, but the same thing happens...the item is selected but for a second and then the selection disappears.

Just wondering if this ever happens to anyone else and how to get rid of this annoying problem.

4 REPLIES 4
rdiaz
5-Regular Member
(To:jstern)

Hi Janet,

I haven't heard of an issue like this happening any time recently. A couple of things to check:

What version of Editor are you using (6.0 M?)?

What OS are you using?

What customizations are you using?

If you have any scripts that scan the document for changes, or react to cursor placement, I could see them having an impact, but it really depends on the coding.

jstern
1-Newbie
(To:rdiaz)

My company is fairly new to using Arbortext Editor and we don't have scripts attached to the editor yet. This is happening to a few people. Basically, after awhile, Arbortext Editor will let you select text or an element, but after one second it forgets about the selection. We are using Arbortext Editor 6.0M running on Windows 7. We do have a few customizations, but they are utilities you click on to activate.

Also, we are using Arbortext Editor with SDL LiveContent Architect.

rdiaz
5-Regular Member
(To:jstern)

Hey Janet,

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with SDL LiveContentArchitect.

If it, or your scripts, use some form of heartbeat monitor or such to check for changes, I could see this happening.  The Core product doesn't seem to have displayed this issue, however, which is why I'm leaning more towards the add-ons.

If you could open a case with TS, we could at least confirm if this is the case, and if so, perhaps provide a best practice to prevent it from happening.

If it ends up not being related to the scripts, we may find something else.

Please note, however, 6.0 and lower are on sustained support, which mean bug fixes are no longer provided for them.

Thanks!

jstern
1-Newbie
(To:rdiaz)

Rafeal,

I have been dealing with this as a minor issue, but it really irks one of my co-workers. In testing today, I was able to isolate when the problem happens. If you have a topic with a list <ul> or <ol>, and you select the top-level elements within the 2nd <li> element, then they don't stay selected. So, for example:

<ol>

<li><p>With SQL*Plus or SQL Developer, connect to the database as <codeph>ADMIN</codeph>.</p></li>

<li><p>Create each protection policy with the <codeph>CREATE_PROTECTION_POLICY</codeph> procedure.</p>

<p>For example, execute the following program:</p>

<pre>BEGIN

CREATE_PROTECTION_POLICY (

protection_policy_name => 'blah blah blah',

description            => 'blah blah blah',

storage_location_name  => 'blah blah blah',

recovery_window_goal   => date_range);

END;

</pre></li>

</ol>

Within the topic, which is of type <topic>, I can select the <ol> and both <li> elements. I can select all the elements within the first <li>, but I cannot get the selection of the <p> or <pre>elements in the 2nd <li> to stay selected. I can select them, but after a second, they are no longer selected. However, I can select the <codeph> element within the 1st paragraph of the 2nd <li> element and it stays selected. So that is why I said it only seems to impact the top-level nested elements within the <li>.

If there are additional <li> elements in the list, the same problem exists for all <li> elements except the 1st.

Top Tags