cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

print preview / paste problem from techwr-l

naglists
1-Newbie

print preview / paste problem from techwr-l

Hi all,
Am crossposting (without attribution for now) a question sent to techwr-l.
I'll cross-post-back any answers. I have informed the poster of Adepters, of
course, but knowing it can take a while to get subscribed and whatnot ...

Question:
I'm using SGML and Arbortext for a 2000 page document (using a PC) and am
having two problems. First, I cannot print preview and was wondering if the
AllowComposeStylesheetList must be set to "yes" in the document type
configuration file and if the Print Composer option needs to be installed
and licensed.

Second, because my company doesn't have content management software, we've
broken the document into several sections (but keeping one master copy) to
allow for multiple writers. When we copy and paste document sections,
thinking we've overwritten old information, the old information isn't
overwritten and sections are duplicated.
=============

Thanks, Adepters, in advance on behalf of this poster.

--
Paul Nagai
7 REPLIES 7

Ok, on the print preview issue, I don't think the
AllowComposeStylesheetList is required for a print preview, but I do
believe "Composer"s must be created in the DCF file of the document
types in question for this to work. Additionally, the Print Composer
must be installed, and either PE active or a Print Composer license
installed for the formatted print preview option (Editor print is active
regardless).

On the second issue, I think we'd need some more info to make an
educated guess. That is really odd behavior, my first guess would be
there's an entity/Xinclude reference being copied/pasted into the doc?
It'd be really hard to make a determination based on the information
given.

When you do get Print Preview up and running, don't forget to select View->Options->Extended pages in Print Preview if it keeps crashing on you after a few pages.

Paul,

To further refine some answers here about publishing, as mentioned, Print Preview does require <u>either</u> a Print Composer add-on installed (and licensed) on the client<u>or</u> access to the Pubishing Engine somewhere on your network to use. If you have access to PE, you don't need the Print Composer Add-on installed.

Without either of these options, your only output would be the "Editor View" being sent to any installed print driveron your computer, which obviously does NOT give you a "published" output. (Editor View is also sensitive to which window the cursor is in, meaning if the cursor is in the docMap window, that will be the output source.)

Assuming you can compose and get to Print Preview, the "View=> Options=> Extended Pages" only shows you information on the printed page that oversets the pageset. I've had oversets that were enough to fill 5 more pages run off the bottom of the page without the system crashing. Point is that the option won't prevent a crash in and of itself. Using this option is great if you have data running off the bottom of the page due to some problem with your stylesheet or the content and need to see it. It won't print, but you can at least see it on the screen. However it makes navigation through the Print Preview a bit more cumbersome. Normally, it is left off unless you specifically need it.

The DCF file is only involved here with your original question about the "allowComposeStylesheetList" option. This option set to "yes" will turn on a drop-down list of available stylesheets to use at composition time. If set to "no", there is no list and the default "print" stylesheet is used. However, you won't get to the "Print Compose" dialog if you don't have one of the above-mentioned composition options installed.

Hope this helps,

Bob

When you do get Print Preview up and running, don't forget to select View->Options->Extended pages in Print Preview if it keeps crashing on you after a few pages.

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 10:49 AM, Paul Nagai <-> wrote:

> Hi all,
> Am crossposting (without attribution for now) a question sent to techwr-l.
> I'll cross-post-back any answers. I have informed the poster of Adepters, of
> course, but knowing it can take a while to get subscribed and whatnot ...
>

Thanks all. The original techwr-l poster (a contractor) has concluded that
there is a licensing issue at the corporate level. Still digging more into
the copy/paste problem, but is new to both Arbortext and SGML so there's a
steep learning curve going on. I think we've done what we can for now.

--
Paul Nagai

One not so minor correction to Bob's excellent e-mail is that a Styler license also gives access to Print Preview in addition to the cases he gives.

John Dreystadt
Software Development Director
Arbortext - PTC
734-352-2835
-

All:

Thanks to Mr. Nagai for posting my question. I will try the solutions suggested. Looks like I can't do a lot about print preview since the company installed without a license.

Jeanette Buenger

From PTC:

Ifound a .dmp file on my system andsent it to PTC. PTC had someone review it and identified the problem as being related to tables in generated text. My stylesheet generates semantic tables for various semantic information. There appears to be a problem saving these documents when a table is shown in generated text. There is, apparently, no workaround other than upgrading to 5.3 M140 or later. I can’t guarantee that will help, but it’s worth a try.

Jeanette

Announcements

Top Tags