cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to balance a reciprocating piston compressor?

How to balance a reciprocating piston compressor?

Hi,

I am trying to dynamically balance a reciprocating piston compressor. I am varying the counterweight size to balance the reciprocating side.

I think I need to balance the forces acting through the center of gravity of the two sub-assemblies (rod/piston and crank/counterweight), but I cannot see a way to do this with MDX and BMX.

Alternatively, I will try to match the centroidal mass moments about the rotating axis. Is this the better path? I am not sure how to set this up, but I will make a datum analysis feature to measure the Iyy for both sub-assy. I will then optimize the absolute value of both Iyy's.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve Krause
Titan Tool
Oakland, NJ

3 REPLIES 3

Re: How to balance a reciprocating piston compressor?

Thanks guys. The radial connection reaction load is working. Just getting preliminary results. I will optimize next and report my results. I am self taught on MDX and BMX, and one strange observation is the force data varies slightly from cycle to cycle. Is this a convergence variation, or possibly a programming or setup error?

Steve Krause <-> wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to dynamically balance a reciprocating piston compressor. I am varying the counterweight size to balance the reciprocating side.

I think I need to balance the forces acting through the center of gravity of the two sub-assemblies (rod/piston and crank/counterweight), but I cannot see a way to do this with MDX and BMX.

Alternatively, I will try to match the centroidal mass moments about the rotating axis. Is this the better path? I am not sure how to set this up, but I will make a datum analysis feature to measure the Iyy for both sub-assy. I will then optimize the absolute value of both Iyy's.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve Krause
Titan Tool
Oakland, NJ

Justin,

I thought about the CG method, but couldn't figure out how to handle the different materal masses. The crank and counterweight are steel and the rod and piston are aluminum.

"Jackson, Justin" <-> wrote:
i would be very interested in any success you are having.. we design and develop recip comressors here. someone came up with a formula as to how much reciprocating and how much rotating weight we have in our assembly. this totals up to a total weight i put in my assembly and use behaviour modeler to modify the counterweight till the c/g is at the crankshaft axis. i am not sure how accurate this is.

good luck

Trane, Tyler TX
Justin Jackson, Designer
-
903-581-3429

Justin,

I thought about the CG method, but couldn't figure out how to handle the different materal masses. The crank and counterweight are steel and the rod and piston are aluminum.

"Jackson, Justin" <-> wrote:
i would be very interested in any success you are having.. we design and develop recip comressors here. someone came up with a formula as to how much reciprocating and how much rotating weight we have in our assembly. this totals up to a total weight i put in my assembly and use behaviour modeler to modify the counterweight till the c/g is at the crankshaft axis. i am not sure how accurate this is.

good luck

Trane, Tyler TX
Justin Jackson, Designer
-
903-581-3429
Announcements