cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Coordinate Systems & Origins...

ptc-3036003
1-Newbie

Coordinate Systems & Origins...

I don't know if it is just me, but I find that the maintaining a specific origin for the model to be difficult if I'm trying and that I can probably expect to see many models from the Creo Direct app to have arbitrary origins and that it really does not matter. This is a difficult issure for me to let go off as I have always (even coming from an AutoCAD background) liked to see a definitive origin.

2 REPLIES 2

Not sure what you mean. From my perspective I find this is due more to modeling habits if I understand correctly.

I guess some part of it is a habitual practice, but it is something that I have practiced since I started CAD back in '95... In AutoCAD I allows created my blocks using a definitive insertion point. By definitive I mean a specific point of geometry (ie center of circles or the midpoint on bottom edge of a beam profile). When going to 3D parametric modeling this Origin is well defined through the sketches and features in the history tree. I understand the freedom that explicit modeling gives the user, but I can load a model and modify it without any regard to its world origin and end up with a part with the origin in no specific place or even way out in space not even close to the part. It kind of takes me back to the time when I would create a drawing in AutoCAD. I would always try to keep all of my geometry in the quadrant I (+X & +Y), but I would create without any regard to the world origin. I am still on my learning curve with Creo/Direct and I am enjoying the processes. I might feel better after I experience some more aspects of the app.

Take care,

Kevin.

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags