cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

FAMILY OF TABLES

StevenDunell
1-Newbie

FAMILY OF TABLES

Can anyone tell me how you get back to the parent of a family of tables
without having to track back through your menus.
If you have embeded tables it seems hard to keep track of where you are
at times..Any ideas as to what other users are doing would be great thanks..
Steven
4 REPLIES 4

Hi all,

Although I have been using family tables for quite a long time, I have never used the Group option as seen in the figure below.

[cid:image003.jpg@01CF9515.79F588A0] [cid:image004.jpg@01CF9515.79F588A0] [cid:image005.jpg@01CF9515.79F588A0]

I would like to add multiple components to a family table and they are nicely organised in groups in the feature tree.

I thought I might be able to reduce the amount of columns dramatically using this option but have been unable to select anything.

I even tried creating a simple part and grouping features then selecting to group for a family table...no luck.

There doesn't seem to be anything in the "Help Centre" and I can't remember anything about this in the training.

Has anyone ever used this option? Does it work or is it just there for show? Or is it for some other type of group I haven't thought of?

Any help would be appreciated.

Craig,

I also assumed that since there is a radiobutton that reads group you would use that to add groups.
It works when you set/select feature (i.e. in WF4) in part or assembly mode

[cid:image001.png@01CF9522.A4BDC2C0]

In parts and assemblies a Group in the model tree is a Feature, so that's how it is added to the family table. The Group in the family table selector is (I believe) for UDFs.

Dave S.

In Reply to Craig Lobban-Jones:

Hi all,

Although I have been using family tables for quite a long time, I have never used the Group option as seen in the figure below.

[cid:image003.jpg@01CF9515.79F588A0] [cid:image004.jpg@01CF9515.79F588A0] [cid:image005.jpg@01CF9515.79F588A0]

I would like to add multiple components to a family table and they are nicely organised in groups in the feature tree.

I thought I might be able to reduce the amount of columns dramatically using this option but have been unable to select anything.

I even tried creating a simple part and grouping features then selecting to group for a family table...no luck.

There doesn't seem to be anything in the "Help Centre" and I can't remember anything about this in the training.

Has anyone ever used this option? Does it work or is it just there for show? Or is it for some other type of group I haven't thought of?

dgallup
4-Participant
(To:StevenDunell)

That sounds like the totally convoluted thought process of a PTC programer. I just know this behavior has been around for over a decade, probably much longer. Grouping features does make for a much simpler family table sometimes.

It would be interesting to confirm that the group radio button does let you pick a UDF but first I would need to create a UDF. They are supposed to be better these days.

In Reply to David Schenken:

In parts and assemblies a Group in the model tree is a Feature, so that's how it is added to the family table. The Group in the family table selector is (I believe) for UDFs.

Dave S.

In Reply to Craig Lobban-Jones:

Hi all,

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags