cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Making a chamfer a specific length

hspaulding
3-Visitor

Making a chamfer a specific length

Let's say I have a 1/4" plate 12" long. On the 12" edge I want a 1/8" x 1/8" chamfer 2" long.

I can't seem to do this. I can make the entire length chamfered, but not a specific length.

What am I missing?

Creo 3.0 M030

Thanks,

Herb Spaulding

Miller Industries

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
David_M
5-Regular Member
(To:hspaulding)

You need to specify the end conditions of the chamfer.

Before your chamfer, put datum points where you want the chamfer to start and end. While editing the chamfer, notice that in the toolbar there are two blue buttons on the far left. The first one is selected currently. Select the other one, called Transition Mode. Notice that the ends of your chamfer a highlighted. Click the end you want to change. Choose "stop at reference" then choose the datum point on that side. Repeat with the other side. This also works with rounds.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Not missing anything. The chanfer is applied to the edge, so it goes down the whole length.

Workaround: Create a sketch of your chamfer on the end of the bar and extrude-subtract for a length of 2 inches.

David_M
5-Regular Member

You need to specify the end conditions of the chamfer.

Before your chamfer, put datum points where you want the chamfer to start and end. While editing the chamfer, notice that in the toolbar there are two blue buttons on the far left. The first one is selected currently. Select the other one, called Transition Mode. Notice that the ends of your chamfer a highlighted. Click the end you want to change. Choose "stop at reference" then choose the datum point on that side. Repeat with the other side. This also works with rounds.

SteveFowler
4-Participant
(To:David_M)

Thanks David

This is news to me. Wondered what those buttons were. Always just sketched on before!

Thanks David. I learned something new today. Can I go home now? HAHAHA!

I had always used the suggestion others had of making a cut. I just knew the brilliant folks at PTC must have a better way of doing this <sarcasm>.

And I may get to like the PTC Community as well as I liked the Exploder. One day, maybe.

Again, thanks.

A quick video displaying steps mentioned by David.

Dear Herb!

You should go extrude from which face you need, then use option of " Remove Material". Find the attachment, it may be helpful for you.

Thanks

A.DelNegro
4-Participant

It would be nice if it included a rounded out section at each end. I.e. if you were going to mill this feature with a chamfer tool, you can't make it as drawn. You need entry and exit. I've used a sweep to create these in the past so that they look like what the final part would. Kind of a pain for something so simple.

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags