cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Pro/E v CATIA

gkemner
1-Newbie

Pro/E v CATIA

We have been using Pro/E and now Creo for over 15 yrs. There is now some push from corporate for us to switch to CATIA. I need to get a list of reasons and advantages to stay with Pro/E and to not switch to CATIA. Hopefully some of you out there have experience with both and can speak to the differences between the two packages.

All information would be helpful.

Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2
KrisR
1-Newbie
(To:gkemner)

I have the most experience in Catia from all my years of modeling.

Unfortunately, I favor Catia over Pro. It has the powerful features of Pro E, but is much simpler to use. The only drawback I see from a company that has used Pro for that many years is the learning curve going to Catia. But I know that users will pick it up faster going to Pro to Catia than a Catia user would going to Pro.
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:gkemner)

I worked for a company that had used Unigraphics for 18 years when corporate decided that each operation division had to standardize on UG or Pro/E. The division I worked for was the only one that had both systems and most of the plants were on Pro/E. Also PTC had just cut a favorable licensing deal at corporate level. So, we switch, train 40+ users with 12-20 days each of Pro/E training and add Windchill PDMLink to manage the data. New products were designed on Wildfire, existing products were maintained in UG. 7 years after the switch started and 3 years after full training completed, corporate decides to sell the division. The purchasing company doesn't use UG or Pro/E but, you guessed it, CATIA V5. All the engineers were again retrained in CATIA. I had left the company after the implementation of Windchill and before the sale.

Thank you,

Ben H. Loosli
USEC, INC.
Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags