cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Wavefront .obj file

ptc-1667893
1-Newbie

Wavefront .obj file

Does anyone have any experience exporting a Wavefront (*.obj) file? We have a company that is animating some stuff for us and they said that this is their file of choice. I can't seem to get it "save a copy" right though. We tried to just use an .igs file, but they said that doesn't work. Any help would be appreciated.

Josh Fixsen
SOR Inc.
Lenexa, KS 66215
913-888-8851 ext.3234
jfixsen@sorinc.com
www.sorinc.com
1 REPLY 1

Thanks to everyone for the input. I think that I got what they needed. They needed an exploded and an unexploded file. With the help from everyone, I got the unexploded one no problem. I didn't know that you had to select each part and then define a coordinate system. The exploded one, I had to go in and manually add offsets to my components and then export it. It wasn't too bad. My assembly only had 33 parts in it, so it only took a couple of minutes really. James said that for the best results, to set the chord length as small as possible and the angle as large as possible. It looks pretty good. Thanks again.

Josh

it's created similar to a Step file, for best results, specift a coor sys and use teh smallest chord length and the largest chord angle.. if yo uare having problems creating an obj of an asembley, firstly, expand the model tree to see ALL the parts. then pay attention to what it askes for, it's been a while so I cannot be sure but I think it first skes for a reference (coordinate sys or plane or whatever - I use a coord sys) then I think it askes for what parts to be included, select th etop part (not asm or sub assm) then shift click the last part and say ok..

I think this should help,let me know if you are still having probs..

James
Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags