cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

interview questions

columicious
1-Newbie

interview questions

I will be participating in an interview for a designer position. If you
have a list of questions to ask a potential hire to help determine his
Pro/E skills, and would like to share with me, I thank you in advance.
3 REPLIES 3

As a Pro/E designer who has been searching for work for the last seven months, I would be very interested in seeing what types of questions you would be asking.

When interviewingpotential ProE designersin the past, we initially filtered via CV looking for applicants with relevant experience qualifications.
We then held informal interviews toascertain their past experience & understanding of the requireddesign manufacturing processes e.g.. injection moulding design, sheetmetal design, surfacing, tooling design &drawing office procedures etc. An existing designer also attends the interviewto see if theyunderstandwhat they are talking about. It's also an opportunity to look ata portfolio of their previous work.
Shortlisted applicants are then invited to sit a1-2 hourtest where they are provided with a drawing of a simple partand asked to model itthen create a drawing of it using ProE. The partcomprises of features that the are typicallyused in the role the applicant isapplying for.
It's worth finding out which version of ProE they last used then let them use that version for the test, as It's relativelyquick toget a user up to speedon a newer version of ProE if theyhave used an older version before.
Also get an existing engineer to sit the testto ensure the timescale is realistic.
Later, the model trail file can be reviewed to asses the quality of the work and their attention to detail.
The ProEtest is useful as it allowsthe applicantto demonstrate their proficiency using the software.

In the one set of interviews for a Pro/E designer position at a previous company, we gave the candidates a typical part to model and create a drawing. This put one of the candidates out of the running as he did not have a clue how to model the part.

The questions I would ask would depend on what types of parts were being designed. I would not cover ISDX if the company only used simple machined parts. If the company does consumer products with organic shapes you can expect ISDX as well as questions regarding designing molded parts etc.

Look up the company and get an idea of what they do.

Peter Stockhausen
Infotech Aerospace Services

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags