cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

length driven from analysis in alternate position???

rustys
11-Garnet

length driven from analysis in alternate position???

i have a flexible hose-pipe that is attached to a skeleton-frame that will rotate up to 90 degrees. in the flat position it a has a free length of roughly 600mm. when the arm is rotated it has a length of roughly 670mm (free length).

i want to be able to run an analysis with the angle as the variable to drive the hose length change so that in the flat position it maintains the longest length needed from the rotated length (I have changed the hose section flex shape to a fixed length for the curve ).

what is the best way to achieve this while maintaining tangency?

I should also mention that the point to point hose length I'm talking about is from the fitting to the first clamp (hidden in these pictures).

so if there is a way for pro-e to calculate what the longest length of the hose will be when rotated while in the flat position i would love to know.

4 REPLIES 4
mjenkins
5-Regular Member
(To:rustys)

Why don't you just use ProPiping through points on the geometry?

In Reply to rusty schulke:

i have a flexible hose-pipe that is attached to a skeleton-frame that will rotate up to 90 degrees. in the flat position it a has a free length of roughly 600mm. when the arm is rotated it has a length of roughly 670mm (free length).

i want to be able to run an analysis with the angle as the variable to drive the hose length change so that in the flat position it maintains the longest length needed from the rotated length (I have changed the hose section flex shape to a fixed length for the curve ).

what is the best way to achieve this while maintaining tangency?

I should also mention that the point to point hose length I'm talking about is from the fitting to the first clamp (hidden in these pictures).

so if there is a way for pro-e to calculate what the longest length of the hose will be when rotated while in the flat position i would love to know.

Michael R. Jenkins P.E.
Design Engineer
Direct: 816-801-2332
Fax: 816-891-9432

Commercial Vehicle Systems
Haldex Brake Products Corporation
10930 North Pomona Avenue
Kansas City, MO 64153-1215

Hi Rusty,

Normally, to route a flexible hose, I would suggest that you use Pro/Cable.

But being able to move means you will probably have to get more basic than that.

Try adding a datum curve to your skeleton or top assembly level. (depending on what is driving your motion)

One half of your datum curve will be made of 2 or more points that define a tangent to Body 1,

and one half will be made of two or more points that define a tangent to Body 2.

I am thinking that you will need a single center point that moves away from the hinge when it flattens.

You can accomplish that with two fixed length construction lines that will behave like linkage arms.

Attach points for your construction linkage arms will probably be tricky.

Look for a point on your structure that is equidistant to the hose center at both zero and 90° positions.

Play with your points and measure your curves until you can approximate your desired length.

Keep all of your points as close to the hose end points as possible to allow free movement in the center section.

If you'd like, you can run a sweep along that datum curve to represent the hose.

For purposes of analysis though, it might be sufficient to leave it as a datum curve.

Is the purpose of the analysis to validate the range of motion or to show off some wicked animation?

Best regards,

Frederick Burke

rustys
11-Garnet
(To:rustys)

i appreciate all the ideas i have received for this problem. i should have shared that the project i'm working on will have at minimum 56 instances of this hose and at the very least i need something that will update when things like clamps and bulkheads are moved around. so through a combination of ideas i have came up with the following.

i created a sketch using the axis that rotates and added a line vertical to the ground and attached to the circle that is attached to the point that moves. i then created a new pipe with start points and extends to get tangency with one point to point curve. i created an analysis of that curve then converted the real pipe to fixed length and wrote the relation d414=length:FID_ANALYSIS_LENGTH_1+50.

this was the goal and it does work but i really didnt want to have to create 11 more features in each pipe to accomplish it.

i will continue to simplify the number of features if possible.

thank you for all the help

Refer to this link on using the evaluate feature to calculate the length of a spline:

As I do not have the Pro/Cable module, this is how I create my electrical cables in Pro-E WF 3.0.

Regards,

Chris Thompson

www.appianwaytech.com

In Reply to rusty schulke:

i appreciate all the ideas i have received for this problem. i should have shared that the project i'm working on will have at minimum 56 instances of this hose and at the very least i need something that will update when things like clamps and bulkheads are moved around. so through a combination of ideas i have came up with the following.

i created a sketch using the axis that rotates and added a line vertical to the ground and attached to the circle that is attached to the point that moves. i then created a new pipe with start points and extends to get tangency with one point to point curve. i created an analysis of that curve then converted the real pipe to fixed length and wrote the relation d414=length:FID_ANALYSIS_LENGTH_1+50.

this was the goal and it does work but i really didnt want to have to create 11 more features in each pipe to accomplish it.

i will continue to simplify the number of features if possible.

thank you for all the help

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags