cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

make spiral hexagon

HARSHVARDHANPAN
1-Newbie

make spiral hexagon

do any one help me to make hexagonal spiral profile with use of equation or any other method.

42 REPLIES 42

The sections across the flat will be straight (minimum length) as they would be taught and free until the next contact with is at the next corner on the mandrel. This is not true with cylindrical springs because they are in constant contact.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Interesting point!

Dunno if it's "his" technique per se.....I did mine in 2000.....

ANDYS_COIL-01.JPG

True, this is a PTC technique widely adopted.

Hi,

using IBL is very old technique ... you can test it and then decide if you use it in real model.

In Creo Parametric 2.0 use the following procedure:

• download sample_square.ibl
    • every "block" inside this files defines straight line from point to point (x y z coordinates define the point location)
  • create new part
    • click Search Command button (magnifying glass at the top right corner) and type curve
    • select Curve from File command
    • select coordinate system
    • select sample_square.ibl file and click Open
    • select the curve in graphic window and apply Sweep command

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

As the discussion progressed, I can agree that an external source will is easy to generate to manage hard coordinates. However, the wrap feature with straight lines also works well if the remaining surface is not an issue.

I still find the sweep feature along a non-tangent curve to be somewhat sketchy. Several attempts have failed with only a few successes. Even those required additional effort. Normally, this is not an issue but this particular shape is an exception.

Here is one way to capture a high resolution dataset.

This was certainly more work than it should have been.

Slot connection to the rescue!

data_capture.PNG

And with this visualization, the answer to the equation is probably a parabola.

The idea using a curve from equation is that you can have the value repeat and even go negative.

I have run into limitations with this, but in general, you can vary R with sharp corners if you repeat a parabola 6 times using t = 0 - 6 and theta = t times 60

This might be of interest to some. It is not too difficult to approximate a n-gon sweep profile to minimize the "S" shape along what should be a straight length.

In this case, I approximated the hex and minimized the radius with a high exponential sin function in relations.

I also used the sweep as the external path for the "wire" guide, providing a reasonably sharp ID.

This is -not- a perfect representation of the actual part, but it does give us options when we need to sweep a n-gon feature as accurate as possible where traditional methods may fail or create a highly complex or unmanageable feature.

ngon_compensation.PNG

Creo 2.0 full version attached

Of course, it is more impressive if the trajectory is not linear

ngon_compensation_mangled.PNG

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Nice!

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Design your own accordian is six simple steps.

I had the same thought

Tom, I think this is about as good as anyone can expect from a hexagonal spiral spring. Add in a spinal bend and a warp and it could look like a tortured slinky.

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags