cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

space ball?

cncwhiz
1-Newbie

space ball?

Can someone explain what a space ball does for me using proe? If is really all that and a bag of chips, how do I input numbers etc?
14 REPLIES 14
kkja
1-Newbie
(To:cncwhiz)

It gives you a "one stop shop" for model manipulation. Pan, Zoom, Spin
all with the movement of a ball.

With that said,

I'm not that big a fan of space balls because I like to have my left
hand free to enter mapkeys.

There are 12 of us here and we all had space balls at one time, but now
only one is still using it...and he is weird anyway.

Now if you are talking about the movie (spaceballs)...then it is all
that. 🙂

Jeff <><

With the same hand you've always used, it's not like its glued to the
darn thing.

The best analogy I have heard is "set a blank piece of paper on a desk,
now start to draw a box or circle on it without using your other hand to
hold the paper".........

Thats what the spaceball is for.

Terry Thomas wrote:
> Can someone explain what a space ball does for me using proe? If is
> really all that and a bag of chips, how do I input numbers etc?
>
> ----------

I use a Spacemouse, which is identical in concept and differs only by having a puck-like shape instead of a shpere.

The spaceball is more confortable, but I can put my spacemouse in my laptop bag more easily.

I have 10 keys, which, combined with a modifier, allow me to set 20 mapkeys to the spacemouse so I don't move my hand away.

That said, I still enter them on my keyboard in many cases.

I hate working without it now.

To each his own, and I enter numbers with my "mouse" hand anyway, so the spacemouse has zero-influence in that.

Thats all a question of handling.

The real advantage is, that you can pan/zoom/spin even if the mouse wouldn't
allow.

HIH Uwe

Engineering Office Uwe Driehaus
Im Brachfeld 6
D-53819 Neunkirchen-Seelscheid
Germany
fon : +49 / 2247 / 74 55 90
fax : +49 / 2247 / 74 55 91

_____

I have found it very useful for manipulating the model while selecting with the mouse. For example, you're trying to select edges to round and they're on all sides of the part. So twist the part around with the non-mouse hand using the Spaceball and select using the mouse as you rotate, pan and zoom.

And yes, as some else said, there are times when your mouse movement of the part is blocked, like when you enter the print dialog box, but the Spaceball will still pan and zoom your drawing.

Bill

In Reply to:

Can someone explain what a space ball does for me using proe? If is really all that and a bag of chips, how do I input numbers etc?

I use the space traveler from 3Dconnexion and would be lost without it.
The biggest plus for me is the non need to keep the left index finger
permanently in the region of the shift/control keys. Manipulation of the
model is easy but there is a learning curve which is only appreciated
when a non space person uses it and sends the model off into the ether.
Try letting your Supervisor or Manager move it about and they'll have a
whole new idea of your worth! FWIW I used to use the larger balls that
were bigger than the palm of your hand but the traveler is light and
fingertip controllable. I am unaware if this is further indication of
emasculation!

Richard A. Black

Senior Engineer

Eaton Corporation

16900 Aberdeen Road

Laurinburg, NC. 28353
jlivengo
6-Contributor

I have used on for years and think it is great. It cuts down on mouse travel. I can be moving the mouse pointer to where I want to select as I rotate the model. Most of my display mapkeys programmed to the buttons, as well as CTRL and SHIFT. This wayI can select how I need to if my left hand is positioned on the keyboard or space ball.

It does take some getting used to, give it time if you get one.

Now if only I could find some programmable foot pedal I could increase my efficiency even more!!!

Jason

Scott,
Good analogy, very accurate. After using one for over a year now, I hate to say that it doesn't get used all that often. It is extremely useful when zoomed in, doing fine orientation tasks, and general viewing of the model.

The issue, as brought up by Jeff's response, is not having a third hand. If you have extensive mapkeys, using the spaceball becomes an exercise in shifting your hand back and forth between the keyboard and the spaceball.

I, for one, can execute most mapkeys with one hand, not looking at the keyboard. Having to switch from the spaceball to the keyboard, necessitates looking down at the keyboard to position my hand. I can't quite get that "Pro/E home row" orientation without peeking. I lose a seemingly small amount of productivity. Multiply that by the number of mapkeys used in a day, and you have a significant loss of time.

If you are one of "those" who don't use mapkeys, then a spaceball may well be very beneficial. Personally, my hand is always on the mouse unless typing a note. Why not use it for the majority of orientation and manipulation, and use the other hand for mapkeys?

Only the individual users can really determine if a spaceball will help their productivity - or hurt it.

And Jeff, I have "Spaceballs" on DVD. I agree with your statement.

Regards,
Jim Jan

Scott Myers29 wrote:With the same hand you've always used, it's not like its glued to the
darn thing.

The best analogy I have heard is "set a blank piece of paper on a desk,
now start to draw a box or circle on it without using your other hand to
hold the paper".........

Thats what the spaceball is for.

Terry Thomas wrote:
Can someone explain what a space ball does for me using proe? If is
really all that and a bag of chips, how do I input numbers etc?

I have a Space Navigator ($50) and Space Pilot ($250) for sell. Both
are brand new.

Regards,

Will Swank
(717) 355-1146

Is it true that WF4 can save a file out so that WF2 can open it?

Doug
Northrop Grumman

Hey Doug,

Not sure if you’d had this question answered for you but the answer is both yes and no.

Unless you output it as an iges/step/CAD-Neutral file WF 2 cannot open a WF 4 file.

However, if you download the Cross-Release Interoperability plug-in (from the PTC site I believe) you are able to open files in WF 2.

The main limitation to this is the file opens up as read only – the existing features are displayed in the model tree but aren’t editable.

For more information read up more on Cross-Release Interoperability (CRI) from the PTC website. I will try to attach the PDF with more information on it as well.

Best Regards,

Gabriel Mantaring
Applications Engineer, TriStar, Inc.
Swamy
1-Newbie

Check this TPI it may helpful

Swamy

Thanks to all that replied.

I was able to install the Granite plug in without admin help. I opened
the files and was on my way!

Best Regards,

Doug
Northrop Grumman

Attachments:
Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags