cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Solution: Units in relations

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

Solution: Units in relations

Well, as it has been with mass props in Pro|E since I've used it (rev 16), it's a lot harder than it needs to be.

Not only do you need to make sure 'Units Sensitive' is picked (which I had) and assign units to your parameter (which I had), you need to add in a sort of 'reset' to your relations to get it to work.  Why?  I dunno, but I did this and it now works.

Thanks to David for the answer:

Pro/E's rules about types and units are hard to fathom and not
     documented very well, so I've taken to "initializing" a parameter to
     before assigning a value:

foo = 0 [g]
     foo = pro_mp_mass

In this model, foo = 188.0463[g] = .414571[lbm].

I still cannot comprehend why, as I'm sitting at a PC many times more powerful than the computers that sent us to the moon, Pro|E can't simply do the math and the work.  Why do I have to tell it how to turn grams into pounds or cubic inches into cc's?  Provide us with a simple dialog with check boxes for the parameters that we need.  Click the box, and now you have a grams parameter, regardless of your native units.  Change units and you still have a grams parameter.

I spend too much time trying to 'teach' Pro|E how to assemble all the information it already has (density, part volume, conversion formula from pounds to grams, etc) to give me the output that I need.

Doug Schaefer

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
0 REPLIES 0
Top Tags