cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ThingWorx Manufacturing Apps 8.1 Freemium is Available for Download!

Re: ThingWorx Manufacturing Apps 8.1 Freemium is Available for Download!

I did uninstall the freemium version. There were no previous installs of any other versions of tomcat or postgreSQL. There are no programs to delete in the Programs and Features Control Panel related to tomcat, postrgesql or thingworx. I attempted two installs and they both failed identically.

The freemium install was successful at the same point that the dev kit one fails. I found older log files that show this.

James, I will create a case for this and contact you to assist with your install.

--Sharon

Hey James,

This is a licensing problem.  A system that's out of license will attempt to start the ThingWorx server, which will then do a license check and shutdown if the license is out of date.  The install will fail as the platform wasn't up and running long enough to load the manufacturing app extensions.

Thanks,

Milan

So that means you actually CANNOT upgrade to the dev pack version once trying out the freemium version. This restriction needs to be documented more explicitly. So the only hope is to rebuild the machine from the OS on up? Will this even work?

FWIW, I attempted to reinstall the freemium version and this failed in the same way.

SO, how does ThingWorx know/keep track of licenses that have been used. There is a system hash/value that is recorded? Making an attempt on a new machine allows you to start over?

I did re-create my Server 2012 R2 from scratch and then the developerKit instance of the Manufacturing Apps did install. I suspect that some registry check is done to see if the machine has been tainted with a previous ThingWorx platform installation. I did notice some registry keys related to PTC that were empty after an un-install was completed. I checked with regedit after a successful install and there are some other keys and values related to PTC present.